Brand new, excited, and willing to listen!

Brennychicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Northern California
Good evening from San Jose, California.
I am new to chickens, and will start my flock this coming May when my daughter's pre-school hatches their eggs! We have wanted them for years and now have a perfect situation to begin our flock.
After doing a bit of research, I would like to get Orpingtons as I understand that they are great with children and are very smart. I understand that they get about 10lbs and want to be sure that they have enough space. The hope is to have 3-4 hens. The dimensions that we plan on using for the coop and run are shown below. Please let me know if you think this is sufficient space for these dear animals, as I really want to do right by these birds.

COOP- 4'x4'x6' with an external nesting box
NESTING BOX- 12"x12"
RUN- 7'x8' and tall enough for a human to walk in

Thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
General rule of thumb is 4 sq.feet per bird in the coop, and 10 sq.feet per bird in the run. I think you mean nesting boxes - you really don't want birds sleeping in them because then, they will potty all over the eggs. Usually nest boxes are blocked off until the birds start laying eggs. Then you open them up and might want to put a golf ball or two in the nesting boxes to show them where eggs should go. No matter how many nest boxes you have chickens tend to want to use the same one. Sometimes they will even wait in line or climb on top of the present resident and lay an egg on top of her. Chickens are truly weird but, lovable.

Welcome to BYC! The dimensions sound good to me. Are you going to let them out of the pen to free range? I agree with your choice of the chicken breed. Orpingtons are great birds. If those don't work out someway, I'd recommend you the White Plymouth Rock. They have the same qualities and are very fun birds. ; )

HS Pye

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we will allow them the run of the yard when we are outside with them. I am a full time teacher, and my husband works full time as well, so during the week I expect that they will have free-range about an hour and a half or so a day... likely more on the weekends.
Should we worry about them flying over the fence during this free-range time?!?

How high is your fence? If you do ever have problems then just clip or tape their wings. Happy chicken raising!

HS Pye

Back
Top Bottom