Brand new to this site and to the chicken life!

FeelingSouthern

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Hello! My name is Carly and I am excited to begin my search for chickens! I live in Massachusetts and am wondering the best places to buy chicks from. I'm interested in incubating and have done some research. I just don't know where I can get reputable eggs from. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Sorry this post is a bit short. I'm exhausted. If any one has any questions, feel free to message me!

welcome-byc.gif
from West Virginia! I bought all my chicks from Tractor Supply. I've had good luck with them. I have heard of a lot of others buying chicks from hatcheries, but look on this site in the Buy~Sell~Trade section and you may have some luck there. I've tried to hatch eggs but haven't had any success...but then again it was with a homemade incubator and I don't think we made it correctly. I have decided to just let my Silkie hatch out some eggs. :)

Good luck!!

Welcome to the coop!!
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif
when you have 20 posts you can participate in the Buy,sell, trade forums. Right now, you can go to "where am I, where are you.," find your state thread and post on it. You are likely to find others living near you that can give info tailored to your locale. If you are looking for good quality birds, I would suggest a breeder. If you just want chickens, feed stores have them, or you can have them shipped from a hatchery. I would suggest you do not buy what they call "straight runs," as most will be roosters. If you won't eat the extra boys, you can sometimes pay more to get sexed chicks. Or buy what are called "sex links," these are chickens that will be a certain color for males , or females.

Howdy from Kansas, Carly, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you here! Eggs through the mail is such a gamble. So many of the eggs get "scrambled" in transit and are no longer viable. If you go that route try to get them from close to home so they don't spend days getting tumbled around by the USPS. Better yet, visit your state's thread in the link below and see if a local has some hatching eggs you can pick up yourself. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Back
Top Bottom