Breaking through but not unzipping

Kweentut

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
I am paranoid because my other chick died trying to hatch, I apologize for asking even after reading all the similar posts. This baby has been like this for about 7 hours. It snoozes on and off and chirps plenty. I can see the beak moving, but it seems to just be poking it's beak out not trying to hatch. I don't want to intervene prematurely, I would prefer not to intervene honestly, but I don't want to lose it. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230524_215404.jpg
    20230524_215404.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 19
Hello!

Most often, the best thing you can do is to just leave it and let nature run its course. If you try to help it out too early it will almost certainly die. I know it’s so nerve racking, and all you want to do is break open the shell to let it out, but believe me, most often that does not end well. If it dies before it hatches, it probably wouldn’t have made it anyway. Assisting a hatch that ends in death only leaves you with a feeling of guilt and responsibility for it dying. I’m so sorry, but leaving it alone will give it the best chance possible.

How long has it been since it first pipped (not necessarily how long it’s been exactly like that)? Was it the first one to pip? Are there other ones that have already hatched? What day of incubation is it? What do you have your temp and humidity at?

I am paranoid because my other chick died trying to hatch, I apologize for asking even after reading all the similar posts. This baby has been like this for about 7 hours. It snoozes on and off and chirps plenty. I can see the beak moving, but it seems to just be poking it's beak out not trying to hatch. I don't want to intervene prematurely, I would prefer not to intervene honestly, but I don't want to lose it. Any thoughts?
It's not zipping it's just making a hole, when they do that I just pull back the top small part of the shell and let it push out on its own.

I ended up gently pulling a bit at the hole it made and it unzipped and pushed out. It smelled so bad, poor baby. She was active and yelling at me but it looks like something might be wrong with her leg. Hard to tell since it just hatched. It was stuck in that position for a long time, we will see.

Yes, I’ve also heard that many times the reason why chicks will pip but end up not hatching us because they have leg issues that render them unable to escape the shell by themselves. Sadly, they often don’t make it even after an assisted hatch, but I hope your little guy survives and does well! Keep us updated :fl

Back
Top Bottom