kanelson92

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2017
Hello,
I have a dark cornish poult that seems to have developed a breast blister. It appears to be completely unbothered by it and none of the other birds are picking on it. The reason I am concerned is that we plan to butcher a few of the cornish for meat and would like to keep a trio for breeding future meat birds. So I am not sure how this would effect the meat of a butchered bird, can you still eat it? Or is this genetic and the bird is no good for breeding? Please let me know your experience with breast blisters and if/how to treat it.

Breast blisters are commonly found on heavy fowl. It comes from laying down too much, or a roost that isn't quite right. It should be only skin deep. There is a bone right underneath in the middle, which is where the blister usually forms.

Also called Keel Cysts.
Is your bedding damp or coarse? Not enough biotin in the diet. Hard or wire flooring. Males with access to roosts more likely to form blisters. Suggestion to wrap Roosts with soft material.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Also called Keel Cysts.
Is your bedding damp or coarse? Not enough biotin in the diet. Hard or wire flooring. Males with access to roosts more likely to form blisters. Suggestion to wrap Roosts with soft material.
Best,
Karen
Hi Karen,
Thanks so much for the tips. We keep the bedding clean. It is pine shavings that we switch out twice a week. The birds are still pretty young (only about six weeks old) so they have no roosts yet. I will check their feed for biotin. Are keel cysts something that will go away?

Back
Top Bottom