Breathing and digging face.

Mmueller12

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2016
Colorado
Hello, I have a 12 day old chick that is struggling. She is not as big as the other chicks and her crop was very hard yesterday so I gave her a bit of olive oil in some moistened food and started very gentle massaging. It was softer and smaller today and I'm still massaging a bit. But I'm wondering if it's something else. She digs at the side of her face and beak a lot and I can see her low cheeks and under her beak puffing out with each breath. None of the other chicks are doing this. She sleeps a lot and I wonder if she's having trouble getting air and oxygen. Thoughts?

Welcome to BYC. Give her fluids with electrolytes and vitamins, but not more oil. Keep massaging her crop. She may be scratching at her crop, but chicks do scratch a bit. Chicks can have many problems, but hopefully she will be alright. Make sure they have good air circulation, dey and clean bedding, and keep the temperature at 80-85 F with a thermometer. Did you get your chicks from a hatchery, breeder, or a feed store?

Back
Top Bottom