Breed Advice for additions to a chill flock

Tervuren

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Southern Idaho
So, I'm sadly down to 3 birds as of last week. :( That's as small of a flock as can be, so I'm looking to order 3 chicks next spring (plus 6 CX chicks as an experiment in meat birds). My original group of birds has been super chill, aside from some bullying by the EE (Ada) towards the Bielefelder (Nettie). I'm hoping to keep that relaxed vibe by choosing laid back breeds. My flock currently consists of the EE, Bielefelder, and Australorp. I'm limited to 6 birds where I am, but of course I'm interested in waaaay more than 3 breeds! Hoping I can get input from folks who have had these breeds before, especially if they were from McMurray. I know for sure I'm getting a Silver Dorking! I absolutely adored my Dora, she was a great little bird. So that means I need to narrow down to 2 from this list (roughly ordered by my level of interest);
  • Another Easter Egger (those cute cheeks! don't really need info, but they're on the list)
  • Welsummer (I've read very friendly, but maybe loud?)
  • Black Copper Marans (mixed info on Marans and how good they are in mixed flocks)
  • Naked Neck (very friendly! but how do they do in the cold/heat and are they more easily injured?)
  • Dominique (seems perfect for my climate and friendly, but how do they do with limited yard time?)
  • New Hampshire Red (some say they can be bullies?)
  • Delaware (again maybe bullies?)
  • Sussex (not sure if heat hardy enough...)
  • Whiting True Green (how healthy are they? McMurray has them ranked as excellent layers, as good as Red Stars, which makes me concerned about longevity. but green eggs and the reviews say they're friendly)
And here's a list of points I think are very important to take into consideration with my climate and set-up
  • I'm in the suburbs. My neighbors have been chill about noise from my girls and there's another flock not too far from me, but I don't want to push it lol.
  • The flock spends most of their time in a large coop/run (well over 10sqft per bird), but I know some breeds need a lot more than that. Right now the girls are not getting any time loose in the backyard due to short days (I need to supervise because the predator pressure is very high!)
  • Extreme heat and very cold (lowest lows are -10F and can get up to 115F in the summer!!!) Nettie the Bielefelder does not handle the triple digits well, which is why another Bielefelder isn't on the list and also why Orpingtons aren't an option.
  • I also would like birds who enjoy human contact, so mention if any of the listed breeds have been lap chickens for you 🥰

Our Welsummer is the friendliest, not skiddish at all, loves to be picked up. But she is LOUD. REALLY LOUD. Too bad because I would love 10 of her. She wins from McMurray and was my first to lay.

Our Specked Sussex is absolutely adorable. She is sooo sweet, very curious, laid back, and gentle. If I could only have 1 breed it would be Sussexes. She’s also very quiet. Not from McM.

Our EE from McM is fantastic! She’s spunky, friendly but doesn’t like petting (will sit on you all day until you touch her), and lays a gorgeous robin blue egg.

Our FBCM (not from McM) is chill. She is a bit standoffish, doesn’t like contact but will hang out next to you. She has a very deep voice and likes to talk, but isn’t as chatty as the Welsummer.

Might I suggest a Brahma? We have one as well, she is super gentle and docile, and doesn’t make any noise. Barred Rocks are awesome too, very friendly & likes to be cuddled.

The biggest bully (if you can call her that) is our Olive Egger, who pecks to get first pick at treats. The girls avoid her area and there hasn’t been more than pecks.

I love a gentle, drama-free flock also! Good luck, please share what you decide on! 😊

I've got a low-drama flock consisting mainly of Australorps.

Other than the Aussie girls, the French Cuckoo Marans are the no-drama queens. Nothing phases or troubles them.

If you don't mind active, mischievous birds as long as they're good flock citizens you might consider a California White. My CW girls have been both entertaining and heat-tolerant.

@JacinLarkwell and @Aunt Angus That certainly moves Naked Necks up the list! I've only read good things about their personalities, good to learn they are hardy too.

@Iluveggers I think the confirmation on the Welsummer's noisiness removes them from the list. I was just catching up on the podcast Coffee With the Chicken Ladies today and they were really making Sussexes sound wonderful too! Think they're going up the list. And I'm avoiding big, floofy breeds with little combs like the Brahma. My Bielefelder survives the triple digit heat, but she doesn't thrive-so I'm avoiding big breeds like her. Which is a bummer because a lot of the friendly breeds are big and floofy!

@3KillerBs Yes! My Australorp is wonderful! I like a mixed flock though, especially since I'm limited to 6 birds. I definitely always want one in my flock though. And I'm sticking with McMurray and they don't offer the Ca Whites, I have read good things about them though.

Thanks for all of the responses guys, really appreciate it. 😊

Apenzeller Spitzhauben, my girls where stand offish to begin with time they have become my besties. They also are very neutral with the flock.

20221130_162422.jpg

I have owned some of these, but not all. I know this thread is from December.
Black Copper Marans (mixed info on Marans and how good they are in mixed flocks)
I have a Marans in my mixed flock and honestly there’s not much to say. She seems to get along with the other birds, but doesn’t really stand out personality/wise.
Dominique (seems perfect for my climate and friendly, but how do they do with limited yard time?) I have a friend who keeps them in a small space and he loves them. I don’t have personal experience with Large Fowl Dominiques though.
Delaware (again maybe bullies?) Our Delaware is definitely the class clown. She is very dominant, and probably leads the hens. She’s always in weird places where food is. She steals the duck food, the kitten food, I have seen her riding the sheep to lay her eggs in difficult spots. She has no fear of me and I could probably grab her very easily. Big and docile.
I don’t know if she’s a bully though, it’s hard to pay attention to the flock dynamic with such a large flock.
I’ve also owned Welsummers but you crossed that off. I guess they are loud but I wouldn’t care because I have roosters so they don’t really compare. But I have to say their personality is very dry.

I love naked necks. They do well out here in winter and summer. Theyare more prone to injury from clumsy males, but that's about it
I have thought of getting some naked necks but we live in WA state and it gets pretty cold here at times do you think they would do ok in the winter here? I worry about their lil naked necks in the winter time!

Back
Top Bottom