Breed and confirm gender.

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
Got thus cute "guy" at rural king. He was in a bun with lots of chipmunk looking chicks. The worker didn't know what breed he was or how he got in with that breed because he was snow white and clearly a different breed. He was bigger than all the others but clearly the same age (feathers and features all lined up with less than a week old). He's stayed bigger than the other chicks I got at the same time. I keep calling him a "he" but just wanted ti confirm it. It seems pretty obvious to me but just wanted to see what others think. He's super good with the girls we got at the same time and even acts like a full grown roo, clucking at them when when finds something interesting on the ground. Any ideas what breed he might be? I was thinking easter egger but I've only ever had female easter eggers and they were very different in coloring.

Attachments

• 20221030_142015.jpg
    20221030_142015.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221030_142011.jpg
    20221030_142011.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221030_142049.jpg
    20221030_142049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221030_142041.jpg
    20221030_142041.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 6
Probably an easter egger, it could go either way on the gender. I have a white one that I got from crossing two of my easter eggers together, they are pretty much a melting pot of recessive genes so there's no guarantee on what color they will be. Maybe update in a couple of weeks?

No great with breeds but with those fluffy cheeks I would say and Easter Egger and looking like a boy with a comb that big and red that early. My 13 week old EE girls barely have any raise to their comb and are still almost flesh color

Any ideas what breed he might be? I was thinking easter egger but I've only ever had female easter eggers and they were very different in coloring.
You're correct, he's an EE (and clearly NOT a different breed).. they don't have a standard of perfection is part of why they can looks so different (red or white lobes, bearded or clean faced, pea or straight comb, feather pattern, shank color, skin color, etc).. white is not an uncommon color for them. Green legs caused by slate shanks on yellow skin is ONE of the dead giveaways.. that indicates EE/hybrid type.

I would also think cockerel.. due to comb size at stated age.. however color does not YET confirm, but may within the next week or two.

FWIW.. even hens cluck at food on the ground.. they all do it when raising chicks! :cool:

correct, he's an EE (and clearly NOT a different breed).. they don't have a standard of perfection is part of why they can looks so different (red or white lobes, bearded or clean faced, pea or straight comb, feather pattern, shank color, skin color, etc)
Sorry, I didn't mean he clearly wasn't an EE. but that he was clearly not the breed in the bing that I picked him from as the bin wasn't EE. I can't remember if they were welsummers or cream legbars but it wasn't EE. I was also thinking EE but have only had very colorful girls so wasn't sure. When he clucks at the food he kind of does what a mom does with her chicks or what the roos do with the hens where they're pointing it out and then let's them eat it first. I've never had a hen do that unless she had chicks so I just assumed this was a boy trait if chicken wasn't a mama.

Thanks everyone for kind of confirming my suspensions :)

Sorry, I didn't mean he clearly wasn't an EE. but that he was clearly not the breed in the bing that I picked him from as the bin wasn't EE. I can't remember if they were welsummers or cream legbars but it wasn't EE.
Ah, I didn't realize there was another label, and EE are so often chipmunk striped is why I was confused. :highfive:

(also sorry if my reply seemed somehow unfriendly, tone doesn't always come across well)

The TSC lady tried to argue with me that a white fluffy cheeked chick in the EE bin was a light Sussex from the bin next door (which was a week older and already sold out) even though it clearly had cheeks and clean legs. Mix ups do happen all the time!

Hopefully, if it truly matures into a cockerel will continue to be confident and balanced when hormones hit. :cool:

I think he's a cockerel because of how the comb and waddles look like they developed fast. Easter Eggers come in every color, so it still makes sense for him to have a different color than your females!

He may be an Araucana or an Araucana mix because of the way he seems to have not many tail feathers, but that's just my thoughts :) I'm not sure which breeds Rural King has.

Ah, I didn't realize there was another label, and EE are so often chipmunk striped is why I was confused.
Yah! I went back and read my initial post and realized I didn't mention that! You didn't seem unfriendly in your post. I always take into account typing and texting not really conveying tone. I know I've been accused of the wrong tone wayyyy to many times!
He may be an Araucana or an Araucana mix because of the way he seems to have not many tail feathers, but that's just my thoughts :) I'm not sure which breeds Rural King has.
This was what I was thinking. I didn't even buy any EE this time but I just saw him in the wrong bin and wanted him :lol:
They had EE's but they were on the opposite side of the pen where they keep the chick bins.

Yah! I went back and read my initial post and realized I didn't mention that! You didn't seem unfriendly in your post. I always take into account typing and texting not really conveying tone. I know I've been accused of the wrong tone wayyyy to many times!

This was what I was thinking. I didn't even buy any EE this time but I just saw him in the wrong bin and wanted him :lol:
They had EE's but they were on the opposite side of the pen where they keep the chick bins.
I've heard of the chicks somehow managing to fly out of their bins and land in another. Maybe that's how he ended up in there?

Back
Top Bottom