Breed and maybe gender please

stegogirl

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Bryan, TX
This thread also could be titled "How Unlucky am I?" because I'm getting this sinking feeling I have 4 or 5 cockerels out of 6 chicks. They were all supposed to be bantams but I suspect numbers 1 isn't and I know 6 is not. They were all purchased at the same time but I don't know their ages.

1 is a little bigger than the smallest ones, but lagged way behind the others in feather development.

I am almost certain chicks 2-4 are the same breed if not from the same clutch. Number 2's comb stayed yellow until recently while 3 and 4 have had their comb change color about a week and a half to maybe 2 weeks ago. I don't know if that means anything.

Someone said this one was a barred rock last time and I am pretty sure it's a pullet.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Chick number one looks to be a male Blue Ameraucana.
Chick number two looks to be a Black Tailed Buff Japanese a Bantam
Will tell you the rest later
1f604.png

#1 looks like a Blue Wyandotte cockerel.
#2 is probably a Black Tailed Buff Japanese bantam, cockerel
#3 might be a Buff Old English Game, probably cockerel
#4 is a Black Breasted Red Old English Game, cockerel
#5 is a Blue Cochin, thinking cockerel
#6 is a Barred Plymouth Rock, pullet.

I think that you only have one pullet.

x2

x3

Wow, that's depressing - I really like the blue cochin and I can't have roosters within city limits. I had to rehome the one in my profile pic when someone reported me. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

The hen on left is supposed to be a Jersey giant. She is 6 months and same size as my barred rock. She has yellow undersides to feet and a green sheen in sun to her feathers. Any ideas?

UPDATE:

I looked through my city's animal code again recently and there are no search results related to roosters. The limit on the number of chickens is also gone! So that means as long as I expand my coop and run before the 7 new chicks are ready to go outside I am completely legal.

And it looks like numbers 1 and 5 (wyandotte and cochin) turned out to be hens instead of roos. They don't crow, and they don't engage in rooster behavior, shuffling, fighting, etc. 2, 3, and 4 are definitely roosters. Crowing and shuffling their feet at me. But they're sooooo tiny I just pick them up and hold them. Unfortunately, I lost number 4 to the same dog that killed my first mini flock. He turned out to be the prettiest of the roos. I've reinforced my run and hopefully it won't happen again.

The cochin is my baby, she likes to watch tv with me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom