Breed and sex these please?

And the rose comb depends, I have had both single and rose from a mix of two breeds, one with a single and one with a rose.

Do you mean breed? Chicken genetics is chicken genetics. It's universal, regardless of breed. Certain genes can only behave certain ways. The barring gene in Dominiques is the same barring gene that Barred Rocks have.

What I am saying is there is only one gene for barring, but it can be shown differently, just like there is only one gene for blue eye color, but that color still varies does it not. You have to take in the consideration of a rare occurrence that all three just show more black then gray.

Barring is still barring. It always behaves the same. Just take a look at Barred Rock roosters compared to Barred Rock hens. Then look at Cuckoo Marans roosters and compare to Cuckoo Marans hens. Then look at Dominique roosters compared to hens. Notice anything consistent. Males always have a double dose of the barring gene, giving them a lighter look. Females can only ever have a single copy, making them look darker. This is the way that the barring gene works. This is why it is a sexlink gene. It doesn't matter what the breed. The gene always behaves the same. The only reason a barred male will have darker barring, like a female, is if he is not 'pure' for the barring gene.

I agree the OPs birds are all mixed breed males. It would make me highly suspicious of the seller, that they dumped sex link cockerels on an unsuspecting buyer. Shame what some folks will do for a few bucks.

Hello all here they are now at approx 2.5 months...
Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom