Breed choices: what should I get??

For what it's worth... the Marans hybrid I had was a lovely, docile hen and one of my favorites out of my 20 girls. She laid a dark egg with darker speckles.
Not as dark as my Black Coppers but a very pretty egg.
I miss her and going to hatch some come spring.
@NanaK has some that are gorgeous with speckled eggs.

Thanks everyone!! I am leaning towards the Mayan hybrid for sure. I had a crossbeak EE once upon a time and understand that’s common - I’m sure not all four but I’m still hesitant.

I got some Sapphire Gems for the first time about 9 weeks ago and I am LOVING them! Have had chickens for about 13 years and these are easily the friendliest and most charming birds we've ever had. They come running when they see us, follow us like puppies, and come when we call them. They are just so CUTE! The're very pretty, are sexable at hatch, and will lay brown eggs. I love EEs and will never be without them so I also got some Prairie Blueball Eggers at the same time (random appearing hens, pretty blue eggs), but the Gems have stolen my heart!
yeah, my mom always says she hates the chickens, then I walk in and she's GIVING THE SAPPHIRE A TOUR OF THE HOUSE lol.

Thanks for the tag @wrathsfarm !
These are Tractor Supply chicks. My local TS gets chicks from Hoover's Hatchery. These were marked Marans pullets but I suspect they are Midnight Majestic Marans. (Black Copper Marans x Barred Rock. I have been very pleased with them. They were so friendly even in the brooder. They have mixed into my flock with no problems. Very chunky girls, too. They started laying at 21-24 weeks and laid huge eggs right from the beginning.

I've been loving their speckled eggs! The light brown egg is from my Wyandotte.
20240114_092835.jpg

Mine have a nice sheen to their feathers. It sometimes looks blue/green.
20230917_132817.jpg

Sometimes the sheen has shades of purple. The colors are actually more vivid in person.
20230917_132608.jpg

Good luck with your choices! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

BCM Roo x Barred Rock hen = Midnight Majesty Marans

Just a different name for a different hatchery.
I thought those were BCM roosters over Cuckoo Marans hens?
If not they should be. Still sexlinked and you wouldn't lose as much of the darker egg genes.

If not they should be. Still sexlinked and you wouldn't lose as much of the darker egg genes.
I agree but I think they were also trying to increase the number of eggs they would lay.

Some hatcheries identify them as BCM X BR but Hoover's only identifies the Midnight Majestic Marans as a BCM X "a barred breed". They do not say what barred breed.

These birds I bought were only identified as Marans pullets, They lay way better than my pure BCM hens ever did. So I really don't know???

Just a link showing all the other names hatcheries have for this hybrid.
Now why don't the BCM x Cuckoo have a name I don't know but I'm guessing @NanaK nailed it with using the BR to increase egg production.
Screenshot_20240202-154937.png

I would say Barred Rock or Buff Orpington because I LOVED all of mine but they do lay light brown so if you want variety, I say the Marans mix or the EEs. For what it’s worth, I had 3 EEs plus bred some of my own and none of them ever had crossbeak or anything else wrong with them.

Back
Top Bottom