Breed/gender guess?

kloverdarling

Songster
9 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Virginia
After hatching a couple of our eggs with a broody hen this spring and getting all roosters we decided to get “pullets” from the feed store. I’m only really questioning one of them being a rooster. I also think it’s not at all the breed it’s supposed to be. Was supposed to be a silver laced Wyandotte but currently to me looks more like a black jersey giant. This particular chick was clearly at least a week older than the rest which I’m guessing are about 8 weeks now, so maybe 9 or so for the mystery chick in question. Or just a bigger breed? I’m not too sure. Thanks in advance for any opinions on the matter.

Attachments

• B3F78CD9-5573-4B9A-B115-257B816683FF.jpeg
    B3F78CD9-5573-4B9A-B115-257B816683FF.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 64
The black chicken looks cockerel-y to me as well :oops:

There seem to be some spiky saddle feathering showing.

No one here looks like silver laced :confused: ... or... not to me.

Are you thinking Jersey because this one has yellow soles on dark feet? Just curious.

I'm not sure I'd rule out some of Maran as they tend to be comb-centric- maybe a 'midnight maran'..?

The black chicken looks cockerel-y to me as well :oops:

There seem to be some spiky saddle feathering showing.

No one here looks like silver laced :confused: ... or... not to me.

Are you thinking Jersey because this one has yellow soles on dark feet? Just curious.

I'm not sure I'd rule out some of Maran as they tend to be comb-centric- maybe a 'midnight maran'..?
From what I remember they had at the feed store near what was supposed to be the Wyandotte bin, but it could be a maran, they might have had some of those too… I’ll just have to wait it out and see… the others I’m feeling confident are ladies. A couple RIR and buff brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom