Breed guesses?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I have two chicks that I am completely at a loss for, I can’t tell who they belong too… I only have two black not fluffy cheeked hens and those are my BSL and my BCM. Then I got one that looks pure lavender but I don’t have any lavenders… I have a praire bluebell and an austrawhite who could be her parent. The dad was a barred mix who did have a bit of lavender in him, I know that because a chick of his was a barred lavender when he was bred with the same breed.
Any guesses?

Attachments

• IMG_5763.jpeg
    IMG_5763.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5762.jpeg
    IMG_5762.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5770.jpeg
    IMG_5770.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5771.jpeg
    IMG_5771.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5767.jpeg
    IMG_5767.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5768.jpeg
    IMG_5768.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4424.jpeg
    IMG_4424.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3698.jpeg
    IMG_3698.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7614.jpeg
    IMG_7614.jpeg
    817.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7461.jpeg
    IMG_7461.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 5
Are there one or two prairie blubell eggers? I see one with a beard and one without, but maybe it is the same bird? Both look to have some lavender coloring going on, so I suspect one of them is the mother. If the father has a copy of the lavender gene as well then that cross could easily produce a lavender chick. I cannot see the baby's comb type, but it should have a pea comb if that is the correct cross.

The black chick will be barred. Most likely its mother is the Marans or black sex link.

Are there one or two prairie blubell eggers? I see one with a beard and one without, but maybe it is the same bird? Both look to have some lavender coloring going on, so I suspect one of them is the mother. If the father has a copy of the lavender gene as well then that cross could easily produce a lavender chick. I cannot see the baby's comb type, but it should have a pea comb if that is the correct cross.

The black chick will be barred. Most likely its mother is the Marans or black sex link.
One prairie, she’s the first and third in the hen photos the picture with the fluffy cheeks only has the two potential moms in the back. The lavender chick is either my prairies or my austrawhite. Yeah I think I’ll have to wait till they feather out to see if the black ones are my BSL or my BCMs… all depends on if they grow red in or not… I don’t think I’ve ever hatched my white EEs egg actually, but no fluffy cheeks on the chicks tells me it’s not hers or my other half lavender hen

Genetics are interesting, huh? I have a puzzling pullet myself. She got both recessive white genes from the parents. Dad was a Sapphire Gem, mom could be any of the other 4 breeds. It's nice when specific traits appear, and you only have one hen with those.

Genetics are interesting, huh? I have a puzzling pullet myself. She got both recessive white genes from the parents. Dad was a Sapphire Gem, mom could be any of the other 4 breeds. It's nice when specific traits appear, and you only have one hen with those.
Sapphires have recessive white? I have a sapphire gem and the roosters brother inherited recessive white meaning he probably had some as well… she still only shows lavender, no other colors

Here is an update; I couldn’t find this post. Waffle is hard to get pictures of she’s very squirmy so it’s only Beef and Narwhal

Attachments

• IMG_7135.jpeg
    IMG_7135.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7138.jpeg
    IMG_7138.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7129.jpeg
    IMG_7129.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 0
Sapphires have recessive white? I have a sapphire gem and the roosters brother inherited recessive white meaning he probably had some as well… she still only shows lavender, no other colors
Must be. He may have mated one of his brood mates, so I have a white pullet with dark gray splashes. The other possible hen breeds I have ISA, Welsummer, BSL, GC, and a BCM (mom) x Cream Legbar.
20221114_162023.jpg
I also had 2 cockerels from him
20230507_135118.jpg
20221230_143154.jpg
#1 maybe mom was a Sapphire, so the barred gene came from both sides. He also has a few brown feathers in his hackle. #2 may be 1/4 BCM x Cream Legbar. Only a guess. The other pullet from this batch was definitely the same mom as #2.
20221114_161938.jpg

Last edited:
Must be. He may have mated one of his brood mates, so I have a white pullet with dark gray splashes. The other possible hen breeds I have ISA, Welsummer, BSL, GC, and a BCM (mom) x Cream Legbar. View attachment 3496722I also had 2 cockerels from himView attachment 3496746View attachment 3496749#1 maybe mom was a Sapphire, so the barred gene came from both sides. He also has a few brown feathers in his hackle. #2 may be 1/4 BCM x Cream Legbar. Only a guess. The other pullet from this batch was definitely the same mom as #2. View attachment 3496756
Ah it’s a complicated story.. I bought two mixed barred chickens and they had two chicks, one fully lavender with white bars the other normal looking. I got rid of the lavender one before he started breeding and also sold the barred one, His name is Clive. I got him back for a few days due to the lady needing him gone, he fertilized a bunch of hens in 3 days but based off his brother he must have recessive white. And if Elephant (the sapphire) did too then maybe Narwhal inherited the white from those two. The only thing I have that makes me think maybe it’s not hers is that her other chick is HUGE. The size of the chicks a week older then them

Back
Top Bottom