Breed identification of day-old ducklings

NewJourney

Chirping
Jul 4, 2023
Pahrump, NV
At TSC there were assorted ducklings. The ducklings appeared to be blue swedish, and maybe saxony or F&W runners today. I am NOT good with identifying ducklings (yet) so I stood there scrolling through several websites showcasing ducklings. I chose to buy what I think is an Ancona, and the is likely a Khaki Campbell or chocolate runner. It reminds me very much of my KC ducklings from TSC last year, but this might be more upright than my KC at this age. I can't exactly recall that specifically. The color is spot-on the same though, for both feathering and bill and feet. Does anyone want to venture a guess about their breeds?

Here are the 2 new duckling babes with 2 easter egger and 2 buff orpington chicks.

The ducklings are from TSC and the chicks are from a local mom-and-pop feed store that orders from Privett Hatchery.

I realize now that the bill color of my "ancona" is much more pink than what I've seen online for them. The photos online show the bill as yellow even as a day-old duckling. Uh oh...

Attachments

• IMG_1737.JPEG
    IMG_1737.JPEG
    652.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1738.JPEG
    IMG_1738.JPEG
    536.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1739.JPEG
    IMG_1739.JPEG
    521.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1740.JPEG
    IMG_1740.JPEG
    607.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1741.JPEG
    IMG_1741.JPEG
    482.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1742.JPEG
    IMG_1742.JPEG
    544.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1743.JPEG
    IMG_1743.JPEG
    645.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1744.JPEG
    IMG_1744.JPEG
    576 KB · Views: 33
so i think i heard that tsc gets assorted ducklings from hoover hatchery and that could include Pekin, Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Blue Swedish, Black Swedish, White Crested, Fawn & White Runner, Black Runner, Blue Runner, Chocolate Runner, Saxony, Silver Appleyard, Golden 300 and White Layer.

Blue one? I don't have a blue one. Yeah the ones in the bin at TSC which I didn't take photos of looked very much like blue swedish. I didn't pick up one of those. I only picked up the brown one and the blotchy one. The others in the photos are baby chickens.

I see that it looks an awful lot like a magpie duckling (the "ancona" one) but Hoover's doesn't sell Magpies.

Also there is a resemblance to Muscovy. But I hear Muscovy are very different from all the other duck breeds. Does anyone have any ideas whether this one could be Muscovy? How do I tell?

Last edited:
Blue one? I don't have a blue one. Yeah the ones in the bin at TSC which I didn't take photos of looked very much like blue swedish. I didn't pick up one of those. I only picked up the brown one and the blotchy one. The others in the photos are baby chickens.
The greyish blueish one

For the brown one - If in the coming days / weeks, they walk really tall, and look slim, I’d say Chocolate Runner - otherwise, I’d say Khaki Campbell.

For the splotchy one - they look most like a Magpie, I agree, but you say they don’t have Magpie.. hmm. They could certainly be an Ancona, if they carry that breed. The colors are correct, bill looks right, feet look right. Only thing that’s off for me is their blotches are very uniform and solid - like a Magpie. Many Ancona ducklings I see have random blotches.

The greyish blueish one
Their baby is brown, not grey, and they don’t have a yellow chest.

Here is what my Blue swedish and Ancona looked likeView attachment 3756337
Aww so beautiful! Yes, the blue sweedish in your photo is the same as I saw in the bin at TSC today. My KC/runner duckling is brown with mild yellow undertone all over, and does not have the same look as the Swedish.

From the photos I've seen online for the Ancona (versus Magpie or Moscovy) yours is just like the other Anconas. It makes me question whether Hoover's Hatchery actually has Anconas or if they are really Magpies or Muscovy.

For the brown one - If in the coming days / weeks, they walk really tall, and look slim, I’d say Chocolate Runner - otherwise, I’d say Khaki Campbell.

For the splotchy one - they look most like a Magpie, I agree, but you say they don’t have Magpie.. hmm. They could certainly be an Ancona, if they carry that breed. The colors are correct, bill looks right, feet look right. Only thing that’s off for me is their blotches are very uniform and solid - like a Magpie. Many Ancona ducklings I see have random blotches.

Their baby is brown, not grey, and they don’t have a yellow chest.
Already I see this duckling as very tall and slim just like a runner should be, but my original ducklings which seem to be KC were also the same way. They are still very much like like the Runner ducks but have the KC penciling on their feathers. Their body shape and everything is very close to a runner. They are just more runner-y than average I believe.

Here is a video of my current adult flock of Khaki Campbell ducks and a drake I adopted from a different source. I raised the hens from ducklings.I somehow managed to pick 5 hens from the TSC bin! Unlisted YT Video

Back
Top Bottom