Breed question

mfinch29

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
Medford
Hi!

Someone found this chicken and asked if I would take it. I have a RIR but this bird looks a bit different anyone know what she is? Thanks!

70791_100_0857.jpg

hello,

I have 2 little hens that are named BETTY and WILMA ! My hens are exactly like yours! The breed i have are called gingernut rangers! they are a cross between a RIR and a Light Sussex!

Umm, no, they're not a breed and not a cross of light sussex and RIR.
wink.png

She's a Golden Sex Link. A hybrid. They often go under the name of Golden Star or Golden Comet, but all in all they're hybrids of a white hen and a Production Red rooster.

She is a Red Sex-Link of some kind (aka Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, Gold Sex-Link, etc.). She's a Rhode Island Red crossed with a Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Light Sussex, White Plymouth Rock, or Delaware. My top guess would be RIR x RIW. I think RSL hens are really pretty!!!

she looks like she's been de-beaked.. ouch! i hope she's a happy girl from now on!

btw, yes, she is a gold sex link! i have two and she looks just like mine. they have great temperaments, and are super friendly.

de-beaked! How will she manage with other chickens? She was found on the streets in Brooklyn and I asked them to send a picture before I would go pick her up. She is in the back of a dollar store right now and the store owner is keeping her tied with a string to keep her from running away.

I've never had a de-beaked bird, but what I've heard is that they do fine as long as they have free-choice food that is deep enough for them to pick up easily. For example, if you were to throw scratch on the ground, she'd have a hard time picking it up. Her beak isn't near as bad as other birds I've seen, she should be fine.
wink.png

Quote:
The I'm guessing from the name that dracutgirl called them, that she isnt from the US and if she is from the UK, I know they call most of their sexlinks some kind of Rangers and various others, but they are still about the same as what we call Golden Comets, Gold Sexlings, Stars,ect...

But the one thing I disagree and I have seen it a lot where people say those Red colored birds with the WHITE tails came from crossing with Light Sussex, to get a sexlink hen that has a white tail, the mother has to have Dominant white ( like a RIW) becuase that is were the white comes from in the tail. The white color in breeds like Light Sussex, Delawares, and Silver laced wyandottes is Sexlinked Silver, not Dom white. So white tailed hens cant come from any of those breeds of hens. (unless by some slight chance the rooster was white tailed red columbian,) But breeding a black tailed roo with those Sexlink Silver breeds of hens would produce pullets that would have black tails and would be red columbian, like RIRs.

Quote:
The I'm guessing from the name that dracutgirl called them, that she isnt from the US and if she is from the UK, I know they call most of their sexlinks some kind of Rangers and various others, but they are still about the same as what we call Golden Comets, Gold Sexlings, Stars,ect...

But the one thing I disagree and I have seen it a lot where people say those Red colored birds with the WHITE tails came from crossing with Light Sussex, to get a sexlink hen that has a white tail, the mother has to have Dominant white ( like a RIW) becuase that is were the white comes from in the tail. The white color in breeds like Light Sussex, Delawares, and Silver laced wyandottes is Sexlinked Silver, not Dom white. So white tailed hens cant come from any of those breeds of hens. (unless by some slight chance the rooster was white tailed red columbian,) But breeding a black tailed roo with those Sexlink Silver breeds of hens would produce pullets that would have black tails and would be red columbian, like RIRs.

Well said...I completely agreee.

Back
Top Bottom