Aug 4, 2011
Washington
chicken checklist:
-Unique, gonna be used for 4h and I want diversity in my flock
-lays reasonably
-can tolerate hot and cold
-friendly disposition, again it will be used for 4h
big_smile.png

this is my expectations for my next chicks. Recommendations needed on breeds that fit these standards.
p.s. most of my current flock are standard sized
Thank You
tongue.png

I have read many good things on BYC on speckled sussex. That is a breed I want in the future. I have barred rocks, welsummers, and buff orpingtons among others that fit your needs.

My barred rocks seem to tolerate the heat better than the others, but they are a bit bossy... They are the first to go after treats and are everyday layers, even in 100+ degree heat. I don't think they'll ever have to worry about prolonged periods of cold weather. On a side note, our golden campine is a very pretty bird, a bit flighty, but she lays almost every day. Her eggs are small, but tasty!

I would go with ancona,because they are laying machines and are great show birds.The rose combed variety are least likely to have frost-bite.

Hi, I am new to chickens in general but did a lot of research before picking my breed. I am a big fan of light sussex. They seem to fit all of your criteria. I gave my first hatching to a friend of mine with two small children that handled them all the time. They are considered dual purpose and can put out up to 260 eggs a year. With the black on white I think they are very striking and would do well in 4H.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom