Breed Suggestions?

nugget2000

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2015
Hello,

I currently have 3 BOs, 2 Jersey Giants, and 1 Copper Maran, and I'm thinking of maybe getting some fertilized eggs for when one of them goes broody. 2 of my BOs and my JGs will turn one in April, and I'm guessing one of them might go broody in the spring. However, I'm struggling to find a good breed for my flock. I want some good layers like my BOs (they lay about 5-6 a week, each), but less noisy. Lots of people say BOs are quiet, but mine aren't
duc.gif
. So I know it really depends on the chicken, not so much the breed, but it would be nice to get some with a quiet reputation. It is also important for them to be docile, and cold hardy as well (be able to survive up to about -5 degrees celsius). Suggestions?

Thanks

Well, she did say she wanted some "good layers" so I assumed laying was relevant.

True, well, in that case I say "Forget layers !!!!!, get polish instead !!!!!!!"
thumbsup.gif

ok, polish are not the most prolific layers, however I have read that they were originally bred for laying, and their eggs are astonishingly large for such a small chook. I would suggest that for economy, they can't eat too much, and you can always store eggs. Up to 6-12 months I've heard if you dip them in olive oil and put them on the shelf. Yuk. Use the fridge and rotate them. OK OK OK so it's a losing argument, BUT THEY"RE POLISH OK ? they are too cute. It's like having an incredibly pretty wife, who cares that she can't cook ?
ya.gif

it's all about the hair !!

the hair

everyone loves the hairdo

and they do lay eggs, and they do occasionally go broody. I have one that goes broody.

The original Easter Eggers were discovered in Chile, chickens that laid blue eggs. That’s all an EE is, a chicken that the hens should lay a blue or green egg. Roosters don’t lay eggs so that definition is a little awkward for them but the genetics should be there for colored eggs. These original EE’s were just like a regular barnyard mix anywhere else in the world except they laid colored eggs, not what we would call a breed at all. They had various sizes, body shapes and features, different colors and patterns.

Eventually they were taken overseas and people created breeds for the original EE’s. Here in the US two different breeds were created, Araucana and Ameraucana, each with distinctive differences. In the UK they only made the Araucana but their Araucana is different from the Araucana we have in the States. Their Araucana can have a tail and there are other differences. Australia uses the UK standards instead of creating their own or using the US SOP. They name Araucana comes from a tribe in the region where they originated.

do you have some kf's or tj's yet ? what about those vf's I hear they're good. Sorry, yes I'm making up annoying abbreviations. Please don't abbreviate on the first mention of the breed so I know what you mean.

GET POLISH !!!

Yeah, polish are cool. my polish got compliments from a visitor just today. They are too hysterical.

Hello,

I currently have 3 BOs, 2 Jersey Giants, and 1 Copper Maran, and I'm thinking of maybe getting some fertilized eggs for when one of them goes broody. 2 of my BOs and my JGs will turn one in April, and I'm guessing one of them might go broody in the spring. However, I'm struggling to find a good breed for my flock. I want some good layers like my BOs (they lay about 5-6 a week, each), but less noisy. Lots of people say BOs are quiet, but mine aren't
duc.gif
. So I know it really depends on the chicken, not so much the breed, but it would be nice to get some with a quiet reputation. It is also important for them to be docile, and cold hardy as well (be able to survive up to about -5 degrees celsius). Suggestions?

Thanks

Probably the quietest girls I have in my mixed flock are the red sex links and the Speckled Sussex. The SS are the more docile of the 2 in my experience but the RSL's will out-lay them.

Any breed you choose will be fine, there are hundreds of chicken breed and you'll get almost that many suggestions.

Why I'm writing is to caution you of counting your chickens before they hatch. If you've hatchery stock birds now it is unlikely any of them will go broody this spring. Then again if you get an incubator to hatch your eggs half your flock will go broody. Though with hatchery birds that's not going to happen. The point is you need a local source that you can obtain eggs on a few days notice IF one of your birds goes broody. That's going to narrow your choices right there. If you hold out for the birds to be ready you'll likely not have chicks this year.

do you have some kf's or tj's yet ? what about those vf's I hear they're good. Sorry, yes I'm making up annoying abbreviations. Please don't abbreviate on the first mention of the breed so I know what you mean.

GET POLISH !!!

Yeah, polish are cool. my polish got compliments from a visitor just today. They are too hysterical.

My americanua sivler penciled rock and barred rorck mix are the most noisest chickens i have i have four of them and and 4 rhode island red and a rooster i dont know what he is he just show up at are house a year ago and would sit on are railing on the porch so we caught him and got him some hens i like the rhode island reds they are the quiet ones of the flock

I have 6 breeds/mixes, olive egger, blk Sexlink, barred rock, wht leghorn, Easter egger, and a buff orp. Both of the "eggers are always talking/squaking. Wht leghorn would be next with the barred rock and buff coming in 4th and 5th. So my blk sex link is super quiet. She hardly talks at all. She has a deep sounding egg song as well vs all the high pitched ear piercing songs of my others.
So, blk Sexlinks are quite BUT, mine is terrible to try and add to the flock with. She chases new members around and around the yard and when she cayches them, she shakes them like a dog with a toy! Yep shes my little meany. So no new birds for me unless they live in different coops and runs. Barely hear a peep out of the B hole though
263a.png
and she lays great.
Have fun choosing.

Back
Top Bottom