Breed?

lisa920

Chirping
Mar 30, 2016
Virginia

Any ideas what breed these chicks are?

It really is too early to tell for sure, they are clearly "buff," but they could be Plymouth Rocks or Orpingtons (or leghorns for that matter). Wait until they get a little bigger to look at comb size and body type to be sure, but just based on what is most common I would guess American orps.

Could you get some better pictures? What color are the legs? Buff Orpingtons will have white/pinkish legs while Buff Plymouth Rocks will have yellow. Do they have feathered legs?

Their legs are white-pale without feathers. I was told buff Orpingtons when I bought them but someone seemed to think they aren't, so that's why I've posted them.

Well, if you got them from a feed store or other local supply then they are certainly not English Orpingtons, but American buff orps are very common and look a lot like a buff rock, just with white/pink legs and skin and a very petite single comb. They also vary in shade quite a bit. Some are very light like popcorn and some are almost as dark as cheddar cheese. Also, when they finally start laying, the orps lay a very light tan/beige egg while the rocks lay a bit more on the actual brown range. I would put money on hatchery stock buff orps. They are going to be very mellow docile birds and should make fine laying hens.

I bought them from a local person that sells chicks, he said he didn't hatch them so I'm not sure where he got them. But here is a better picture

Back
Top Bottom