Breed?

TxBea

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2022
Hi! I'm a newbie. I bought 8 pullets in June. One is gray and came from the Rhode Island Red bin. Beautiful bird and appears to be a roo, still not crowing at 17 weeks. But I can't figure out what breed this is. Also one of my speckled sussex is also a roo. Is it ok to have 2 roosters if they were raised together? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• silvie 2.jpg
    silvie 2.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 9
  • silvie3.jpg
    silvie3.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 6
I haven't thought about the blue cuckoo leghorn. I though sapphire gem but should there be a white dot on the head? Most gray birds have gray legs not yellow. Should he be crowing by 17 weeks? My other roo has been since the end of August. He is very large. Much bigger than the others.

Hi! I'm a newbie. I bought 8 pullets in June. One is gray and came from the Rhode Island Red bin. Beautiful bird and appears to be a roo, still not crowing at 17 weeks. But I can't figure out what breed this is. Also one of my speckled sussex is also a roo. Is it ok to have 2 roosters if they were raised together? Thanks for your help!
I got my first group of 10 chicks about four years ago, raised them together and two ended up being roosters. Once in a while they would square off, but they wouldn’t fight. One became dominant. I ended up rehoming them to a zoo only because I didn’t need roosters and they were brutal to my hens. The hens were relieved. When my buff Orpington became broody and nothing else worked to break her of it, I got two fertilized beautiful blue eggs. She hatched both of them out. Both were roosters! They got along perfectly. But again, I rehomed them to a nearby farm together. They’re still doing well together. I would say if you want to keep them, do so unless it becomes an issue between them.

I got my first group of 10 chicks about four years ago, raised them together and two ended up being roosters. Once in a while they would square off, but they wouldn’t fight. One became dominant. I ended up rehoming them to a zoo only because I didn’t need roosters and they were brutal to my hens. The hens were relieved. When my buff Orpington became broody and nothing else worked to break her of it, I got two fertilized beautiful blue eggs. She hatched both of them out. Both were roosters! They got along perfectly. But again, I rehomed them to a nearby farm together. They’re still doing well together. I would say if you want to keep them, do so unless it becomes an issue between them.
Thank you! I was able to find a new home for both of them! :)

Back
Top Bottom