Breeder Setups

Sprfrk

Hatching
Sep 12, 2019
Hiya looking for advice regarding the following. I have both Silkies and Pekins for the below scenarios, however this case I'll talk about silkies only.

I have several coloured 'groups' of silkies being a young male roo and a few pullets for each colour - Splash, Black, Blue, White and some silver partridge pullets, currently in one large 12m x 12m (40ftx40ft) enclosure on my section with coop, all under 6mos old. I am looking at separating these guys out in order to breed - NOT for show purposes but general good quality breeding for pets etc. My chooks are from showline breeders so am fairly confident in their genes.

Idea 1 - separate the 4 colours out completely to their own 12m x 3m runs with smaller coops. This would be Splash, Black, Blue and White with 3 silver partridge. This would be ideal for colour purposes, keeping males separate and premium coop space, however very time consuming and finance heavy!

Idea 2 - separate the group into two colours each. Two large coops (they are suitable for 8x 'normal chicken' sized coops with three nesting pens for reference) and larger 12m x 6m runs to share. Thinking, Splash and Blue together, and Black and white with s/p together. This would be a lot easier on my budget and time, and tbh the one i'm leaning towards. Obviously though then the predicted colours would be a mix bag and would have two roos together.

....Would it be ok having 2 roosters with approx 4-5 pullets each, in one shared area?
....What might a white roo and s/p hen produce?
.....WHat might a white and black mating produce?

TIA ;-D

Hi,
I'm new so can't really help, but someone gave me the link to this site: http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator which i have found helpful, you can put your colours in and assuming your roo is recessive white to a SP hen then it says all offspring will be black. I guess unless the hen happens to carry recessive white. Same with your white and black mating- all black chicks. I assume these black chicks will carry recessive white so if mated back to a white would give you 50% white offspring, and the ones bred to an SP hen are likley to carry some other genes in there too that could pop back out later on.

Hiya looking for advice regarding the following. I have both Silkies and Pekins for the below scenarios, however this case I'll talk about silkies only.

I have several coloured 'groups' of silkies being a young male roo and a few pullets for each colour - Splash, Black, Blue, White and some silver partridge pullets, currently in one large 12m x 12m (40ftx40ft) enclosure on my section with coop, all under 6mos old. I am looking at separating these guys out in order to breed - NOT for show purposes but general good quality breeding for pets etc. My chooks are from showline breeders so am fairly confident in their genes.

Idea 1 - separate the 4 colours out completely to their own 12m x 3m runs with smaller coops. This would be Splash, Black, Blue and White with 3 silver partridge. This would be ideal for colour purposes, keeping males separate and premium coop space, however very time consuming and finance heavy!

Idea 2 - separate the group into two colours each. Two large coops (they are suitable for 8x 'normal chicken' sized coops with three nesting pens for reference) and larger 12m x 6m runs to share. Thinking, Splash and Blue together, and Black and white with s/p together. This would be a lot easier on my budget and time, and tbh the one i'm leaning towards. Obviously though then the predicted colours would be a mix bag and would have two roos together.

....Would it be ok having 2 roosters with approx 4-5 pullets each, in one shared area?
....What might a white roo and s/p hen produce?
.....WHat might a white and black mating produce?

TIA ;-D

Hi there .
if the second option is easier for you than go for it ,here few tricks to breed all the 4 varieties ,keeping them pure without breaking the horse back .
one year breed 2 varieties ,the second year breed the other 2 .
breed the Splash to Splash . the White to white . for those they need to have they own run .breeding rooster don t get along in a small space . you can have 2 small pens and one big run , each day one pen can use the run .

Second year you can breed Black and Blue in a same pen . they work well together ,they will stay pure Blue and black ,

How many hatch you are thinking of doing a year .who long will be your breeding period .Spring? Spring/Summer? .Autumn ? etc.................
Who many chicks you are thinking of hatching?

Good luck
Chooks man

Back
Top Bottom