Breeders that sell .... Is it ethical?

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I think I have some pretty descent stock. My question is .... for example, I have some New Hampshires that I think are nice. I have yet to hatch from them to grow out for myself. Meaning, I don't know what the results will be. I have 2 trios. I am mating all 4 girls with one cockerel for awhile, and then I will switch cockerels. I plan to keep a few from each mating to growout. In the mean time, I have received several requests for eggs or chicks. Is it ethical of me to sell eggs at this time, when I am just a beginner and not sure of myself and my matings? If so, what is a reasonable price? Is an auction a good way to determine a fair price?

What would you do?

Given some of what's being offered for sale I'd say you selling from your birds is certainly ethical. As to what to sell them for ????? As much as you can get I guess. Start high & come down if you don't get responses. It's harder to go the other way.

Kathy, I think if you make your concerns clear up front, and be sure buyers understand that you can NOT guarantee the outcomes of this pairings as they are untested, you have done your ethical duty as a seller.

I think more people need to make that known when selling hatching eggs or chicks. Unless it's a tried and true pairing or an old line with very consistent outcomes, you really can not be entirely sure of what you're getting when buying immature offspring, and yet people always seem surprised when they pay tons of money for eggs or chicks and then gets culls out of the deal. It's NOT always the breeder's fault, beyond, perhaps, not being sure the buyer understands the situation.

As for price, what does the breeder you bought your stock sell for? Perhaps a bit lower than that would be fair? Are all of the birds from the same line, or different lines?

I think if you were trying to pass them off as show quality without knowing, that would be unethical. But if you know what breed they are and there's no possibility another rooster could be the father, you have that breed. You have utility birds, which is what most people are looking for. Check your local Craigslist for prices. We all take chances when we buy chicks. Just be honest with people--honest, not apologetic!--and you'll be fine. You have as much right to sell your birds as anyone. Honest!
smile.png

Last edited:
Even in the case of stock who has won, it's generally frowned upon to say the chicks or eggs are show-quality. I think it's fair to say that your eggs come from show-quality stock if you (or the person you got them from) have shown them well.

That being said, I think it's perfectly acceptable to put up pics of your stock and sell eggs at auction from them, letting the market provide you with a sales price-point, regardless of show-quality potential or otherwise. I almost always let auctions set where my pricing is.

If you have folks in line, I would generally sell my unproven birds' eggs a little less than that which I paid, but the fact that they're asking shows they are interested in that breed and your stock- show them and let them choose. You can have reasonable expectations the chicks will look of similar quality, and you'll find out later whether you've improved the recipe with the ingredients mixed the way you've mixed them. It's fair to price similarly, and it's ethical to show the parents and let others make predictions about what they'll get.

I think folks understand not everyone has hatched and raised up stock from their birds, but it's better to see it when they have.

It is only unethical to claim you are selling eggs you are not. Say you are selling eggs as what they are is no problem. You can sell mutt eggs, just can't claim they are not mutts. If you don't know fertility, say it is unknown up front and price accordingly.

Quote:
Amen...

and I agree with the rest of what you said too.

BTW those marans I got from you are getting HUGE, they must have some giant gene in there somewhere. (and I got more pullets than roos!)

I think I am with the rest of the folks...

-post pics of the parents
-don't make claims you can't back-up
-tell their lineage (who they came from)
-I would go with an auction type sell...just make sure you start with the lowest price you would accept...then the market will tell you what they are worth

I agree with everyone else-why not throw an auction up for "tester" eggs--you know they are mating-have you seen bullseyes in eggs-If yes state so-but if you havent incubated yet-call them test eggs:)

Start your auction low and let the bidders set the price-then you'll see how much you should start your next auction at....Im not familiar with the pricing of New Hampshires-but Id say start at 10$ or a little more plus 12-15$ for shipping and see where it goes from there? Show some photos of the parents and wallah! Just make sure you make it clear you havent incubated the eggs yet and these eggs are testers...Whomever buys them can tell you how they fair in 10-12 days and if they are doing great in their incubator-then place regular auctions up
thumbsup.gif

Can you incubate a few first 4 of them? 1 from each hen? then youll know for a fact all is well and you dont even have to have a tester auction... Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom