Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
I'm loving all the chickens you gals have and I'm very glad I made this thread as well I kept looking for a chicken thread that fit me and couldn't since I have such a variety and so many mixes I decide I'd have to make a new thread that was all mixes! And I just love all the new info I find and Willie looks like a small single-combed Heliotrope(that's one of my roos)very pretty! And yes Barbara it's hard to get a pure araucana their almost always mixes because of their fatal gene but they still are wonderful! I have an ameraucana I hope to cross with my Wyandotte/sizzle polish mix and hopefully keep them banty sized

To be honest, I didn't set out to buy an araucana. My partner has a friend who is a poultry auctioneer and he knew I was expanding my flock and rang us up and said she was there and no one had bid on her and I could have her for £5. She's a scruffy dirty white with the odd black fleck and doesn't lay blue eggs and was totally wild when I first got her and wouldn't roost in the stable with the other hens. She preferred to spend the first few weeks up in the rafters of the tractor shed. Since she has successfully raised two large broods, she has become much more tame and she is such a wonderful mother hen that I have totally forgiven her for not being what she was supposed to be and she has really won my heart. I had never seen a chicken with a moustache before, so of course she had to be named Tasha. Now thanks to her I have half a flock of moustachioed hens!!!

Have you got a photo of your Wyandotte/sizzle polish cross. That sounds like a crazy mix and then to throw in the ameraucana as well, should produce some interesting individuals!

Last edited:
Sadly no I've got pictures of some of him but not the rest lol he kept moving but yes I'm striving for a four-toed,crested,muffed,speckled brown/white/black/green,feather legged,green/blue egg layer that is tall and not too skinny but not close to a meat bird and a bantam size preferably about a pound and a 1/2 or so I'm a bit picky lol :D

Wow! You are obviously a person who knows what they want! Good luck with that!

I'll just be happy if I keep getting more pullets than cockerels and if they look pretty and/or lay bonny eggs, that will do for me. Unfortunately I don't find the grey barred birds particularly attractive, so either Tasha will have to find herself a new man (the barring is coming from Handsome Harry the cream legbar) or be content with raising other hens chicks in the future.

Lol if it's anything other than poultry I have no clue on what I want but poultry are a whole other subject I've done a lot of thinking,learning and experimenting to find what type of birds I'm looking for

Yeah I don't like barring very much either except barred Cochins I don't know why but they just are adorable I also don't like crele very much either

Lol if it's anything other than poultry I have no clue on what I want but poultry are a whole other subject I've done a lot of thinking,learning and experimenting to find what type of birds I'm looking for

Yeah I don't like barring very much either except barred Cochins I don't know why but they just are adorable I also don't like crele very much either
when people talk about barring, it's like what my chip is right? the black and white? I'm still trying to learn all the terms...lol

Yes Willie is barred Heliotrope is not barred but has the white and brown mixture Willie has on his back and I should correct what I said I don't like barred chickens I love my black barred Muscovies because of they way it comes out in patches

Back
Top Bottom