Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
So, I've been waiting to hear from the lady that I am supposed to get the showgirl and sizzle/frizzle and mix eggs from. (2 dozen) I sent her a message Monday night to find out what a good time frame is on the 14th to pick them up (I have to drive about 1 1/2 hours to get them. I have a friend going with me so I don't get lost all by myself...lol I need an idea of when to coordinate with my friend. I still haven't heard back from her yet. I started to get worried, if she doesn't get back with me I won't have any eggs for my Easter hatch. So, I talked to another lady I had made contact with back in December who said they had showgirls but they were only sporadically laying and come to find out, they only have one showgirl, but she has around 140 chickens in mixed pens plus spitzhaubens penned out as well, so.....I made plans to get a dozen of the spitz and a dozen of the mixes! (And she's in my area, so no extra driving.) So, now if the other woman answers me and I am able to get the two from her, I will be setting 4 dozen +!!!! That also means that I will have to pull my turner (it only holds 42) and lay them on the screen and hand turn. Until/unless I have clears that I can take out.

I'm getting so excited. This will be my biggest attempt yet. (If I get all of them. I'll be happy with two dozen though..lol) I got the bator out and cleaned and have had it running the last few days to check out the new thermometer combo I bought and to see what I am going to need to do for humidity as it is so much dryer now. (This will also be my first winter weather hatch.) And I have that all set, so I can restart the incubator next week and set eggs next Sunday and cross my fingers.

Just set some barnyard mix eggs! I have EEs, a Marans, and three mixed breed hens. I had a Phoenix rooster, a few 1/2 Phoenix roos, two EE roosters, and an Orpington rooster in with them. So who knows what I'll get! Lol I set 23 eggs, plus a few pullet eggs thrown in to see if they'd hatch or not.

So, I've been waiting to hear from the lady that I am supposed to get the showgirl and sizzle/frizzle and mix eggs from. (2 dozen) I sent her a message Monday night to find out what a good time frame is on the 14th to pick them up (I have to drive about 1 1/2 hours to get them. I have a friend going with me so I don't get lost all by myself...lol I need an idea of when to coordinate with my friend.  I still haven't heard back from her yet. I started to get worried, if she doesn't get back with me I won't have any eggs for my Easter hatch. So, I talked to another lady I had made contact with back in December who said they had showgirls but they were only sporadically laying and come to find out, they only have one showgirl, but she has around 140 chickens in mixed pens plus spitzhaubens penned out as well, so.....I made plans to get a dozen of the spitz and a dozen of the mixes! (And she's in my area, so no extra driving.) So, now if the other woman answers me and I am able to get the two from her, I will be setting 4 dozen +!!!! That also means that I will have to pull my turner (it only holds 42) and lay them on the screen and hand turn. Until/unless I have clears that I can take out.

I'm getting so excited. This will be my biggest attempt yet. (If I get all of them. I'll be happy with two dozen though..lol) I got the bator out and cleaned and have had it running the last few days to check out the new thermometer combo I bought and to see what I am going to need to do for humidity as it is so much dryer now. (This will also be my first winter weather hatch.) And I have that all set, so I can restart the incubator next week and set eggs next Sunday and cross my fingers.

That is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumpy :eek: :jumpy :fl :fl I love spitzhaubens!!!!!!! I have a picture of one up on my closet door LOL!!!!!!!!!

Just set some barnyard mix eggs! I have EEs, a Marans, and three mixed breed hens. I had a Phoenix rooster, a few 1/2 Phoenix roos, two EE roosters, and an Orpington rooster in with them. So who knows what I'll get! Lol I set 23 eggs, plus a few pullet eggs thrown in to see if they'd hatch or not.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!! I wish everyone the best of luck with their eggs I truly do!!!!!!!!!! :clap

The girl I was supposed to get the showgirl/frizzle/sizzle and mixes from says her birds are not producing too well so I'm back burnering them till summer and getting the dozen spitzes and 2 dozen mixes! I can't wait to get them and get things going!!!

The girl I was supposed to get the showgirl/frizzle/sizzle and mixes from says her birds are not producing too well so I'm back burnering them till summer and getting the dozen spitzes and 2 dozen mixes! I can't wait to get them and get things going!!!
woot.gif

Checked my 1st batch of set eggs last night & was surprised, super surprised, at what I found:

I can't believe 4 out of the 7 eggs are developing! I was only hoping at least 1 would be! LOL I might be in some trouble if my Phoenix bantam eggs show up this weekend.

So, I've got 2 each from Calypso & Athena. I'm a little disappointed that Penelope's & Nausicaä's eggs didn't develop, but I was expecting it. Pen's eggs are still pretty tiny & Naus's had a detached air sac & not great shell condition. Have to try again later this year with their eggs. Can't wait to see what these mixes look like in 16 days! I'm terrified & excited about this! I was expecting to have any kind of development on my first go at incubating eggs with my first time chickens.

Checked my 1st batch of set eggs last night & was surprised, super surprised, at what I found:

I can't believe 4 out of the 7 eggs are developing! I was only hoping at least 1 would be! LOL I might be in some trouble if my Phoenix bantam eggs show up this weekend.

So, I've got 2 each from Calypso & Athena. I'm a little disappointed that Penelope's & Nausicaä's eggs didn't develop, but I was expecting it. Pen's eggs are still pretty tiny & Naus's had a detached air sac & not great shell condition. Have to try again later this year with their eggs. Can't wait to see what these mixes look like in 16 days! I'm terrified & excited about this! I was expecting to have any kind of development on my first go at incubating eggs with my first time chickens.
LOL, when I first saw the names on the eggs I thought you were already naming the chicks... I was like, wow.....she already knows what she's naming them....lol

Back
Top Bottom