Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
Me too! Especially since the Phoenix bantam eggs I ordered in January are being shipped next week, just in time to be put in the incubator as this batch is hatching out! I would be nice to have a little bit of success with something since the past 7-8 months haven't been great for me. Plus, I really want to know what my mix is going to look like! :D

Good news! 25 out of 29 eggs are alive and developing, today is day seven. One I'm not sure, so I'm gonna leave it in the incubator until the next candling. Oh man though, those EE eggs are hard to see through! Lol

Me too! Especially since the Phoenix bantam eggs I ordered in January are being shipped next week, just in time to be put in the incubator as this batch is hatching out! I would be nice to have a little bit of success with something since the past 7-8 months haven't been great for me. Plus, I really want to know what my mix is going to look like! :D

That's going to be so exciting!!! :jumpy

Good news! 25 out of 29 eggs are alive and developing, today is day seven. One I'm not sure, so I'm gonna leave it in the incubator until the next candling. Oh man though, those EE eggs are hard to see through! Lol

Yay! :clap I love this time of year!

Congrats!
celebrate.gif

Well, 2 days earlier than I planned...but I had to pick up my eggs today and well, having them sit around just didn't seem right to me, (plus I don't have a good place to keep them) so they went in the bator...lol 42 of them. Abut 20 are Spitzhauben. A couple Black Japanese Bantams, a couple EE, some french name I don't know what she said, a couple brown leghorns and mixes!!

So I am discovering that I am more totally biased about mixes than I had originally thought....lol. So I am doing the Easter HAL and today is "official" set day. I'm watching people posting what they are setting and I'm finding myself cringe when I see someone setting 30+ eggs of the same purebred breed....lol All I can think is how boring....lol I know it's not for them, and there's nothing wrong with that but I just can't imagine not having that mix.... I was supposed to get 12 Spitzhauben plus 2 dozen from the mixed pens. I ended up with like 20 Spitzhaubens (and my 2 dozen)...lol cause she threw in extras, but I can't imagine just hatching them and nothing else....it'd kinda be like the finale at the fireworks...oohhhh ahhh...yup it's done...lol I'm so bad. I should keep these thought to myself. Sorry.

So I am discovering that I am more totally biased about mixes than I had originally thought....lol. So I am doing the Easter HAL and today is "official" set day. I'm watching people posting what they are setting and I'm finding myself cringe when I see someone setting 30+ eggs of the same purebred breed....lol All I can think is how boring....lol I know it's not for them, and there's nothing wrong with that but I just can't imagine not having that mix.... I was supposed to get 12 Spitzhauben plus 2 dozen from the mixed pens. I ended up with like 20 Spitzhaubens (and my 2 dozen)...lol cause she threw in extras, but I can't imagine just hatching them and nothing else....it'd kinda be like the finale at the fireworks...oohhhh ahhh...yup it's done...lol I'm so bad. I should keep these thought to myself. Sorry.

I am with you on this one. I have both pure breeds and mixes, and love them all. I love my purebreds, but wouldn't want a cookie cutter flock, both in terms of identical looking chickens and like colored eggs. I enjoy a colorful egg basket and seeing what colored eggs I can come up with next. I love the colors I get with my EE's. My OE's are still babies but can't wait to see what color they lay, and I have a pink egg project going.
When it comes to my mixes I can select for egg size and color, amount of eggs laid, age they start laying, and temperament of the hens and roosters. In addition, they are beautiful birds. What's not to love?

Next Friday, I'll be setting my first eggs from my very own flock, from my very own rooster. Previous 2 hatches have been from flocks of friends/neighbors/fellow BYC folks. So, this hatch will be extra special. Barn yard mix, all of them, but with specific breeding goals in mind. EE Roo over Doms and SLW will produce SL, green egg layer, walnut combs. All of the pullets from this hatch should produce either blue or green eggs. I hope to play with this gene pool for a few generations, before bringing in new blood. And yeah, the surprise package on hatch day is especially cool.

Next Friday, I'll be setting my first eggs from my very own flock, from my very own rooster. Previous 2 hatches have been from flocks of friends/neighbors/fellow BYC folks. So, this hatch will be extra special. Barn yard mix, all of them, but with specific breeding goals in mind. EE Roo over Doms and SLW will produce SL, green egg layer, walnut combs. All of the pullets from this hatch should produce either blue or green eggs. I hope to play with this gene pool for a few generations, before bringing in new blood. And yeah, the surprise package on hatch day is especially cool.
Awesome!! Congratulations! I'm hoping to be able to do that mid summer! I'm excited about the prospect of hatching from my flock. I'm especially hoping my nn roo gets with my silkie hens and my polish hen....lol I have two roos and trying too add more females to even out the ratio, but I don't know what breed(s) my other roo is. He's big and heavy (pics don't do him justice): they are:

My NN roo

I'll be getting 3 silkie hens from my sister to go with the one that I have and I really want to attempt starting my own showgirl line. I'd love to see a nn polish too...lol
That's the wonderful thing about mixes. (If you're not hyper genetic minded,) you don't know the possibilities..lol

Back
Top Bottom