Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
How are your chickens doing?
smile.png
Very well, thanks for asking. I just have to ge rid of half of these last ones. I think I have the ones I want picked out. lol Getting ready to set my own for the first time.

The chicks you hatch from your own flock will be extra special. I'm especially pleased with my second hatch this season. Awesome color mix.
I can't wait until next spring. I want to breed the silver/blue and the multi-colored ones that hatched out at the Easter hatch. I'm am eager to see what they mix in to the group.

So my backyard chickens...

Last year I wanted to test my incubator setup before putting turkey eggs into it, so I went to our local "Farm Learning Center" and bought a dozen fertile eggs of random parental selection. They do have really nice parent stock, and usually whatever is the current fad, so last year they had Salmon Faverolle, Light Brahma, Silkies, Ameraucana (partridge color and correct rooster color), Black Australorp, and many more. I hatched 5 chicks out of the dozen refrigerated eggs, and lost one early. I ended up with a rooster that looks like a Light Brahma, a hen that looks like a black and white Wyandotte, a rooster that looks like a Salmon Faverolle, and a gold mostly Ameraucana hen with green shanks. All hatched from blue or green eggs.

I kept these four chicks, and the black and white hen lays a green egg, the gold hen lays a pale aqua egg. They are good layers, too. The two roos are beautiful and friendly. The SF looking roo has the Ameraucana interrupted crow, the one that looks like a Light Brahma crows like a LB.

I am setting 22 of the eggs from these hens, who run together and both roosters are active, so there should be some interesting color combos!

Last edited:
The babies I hatched on March 4th they are still quite small but I'm breeding for bantams so I'm very glad! :clap They have coccidiosis though :( here's the thread I've been on [CONTENTEMBED=/t/979217/coccidiosis layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

Here they are though!

Shoshone:

Karuk:

Miwok:

Patwin:

A long while ago......

Shoshone turned out to be the only male! :celebrate

They are pretty! I like how diverse they all look! And thank you for the compliment on mine! :D

The babies I hatched on March 4th they are still quite small but I'm breeding for bantams so I'm very glad!
clap.gif
They have coccidiosis though
sad.png
here's the thread I've been on

Here they are though!

Shoshone:

Karuk:

Miwok:

Patwin:

A long while ago......

Shoshone turned out to be the only male!
celebrate.gif
They look like some of the ones I got from my last hatch. Nice!

I have new barnyard mixes! They hatched under a broody on 4/26 and 4/27. It's been so eggciting and so cute to experience. The hard part for me is guessing the sexes. The rooster is a Salmon Faverolles. The hatched eggs are from SF, Lavender Ameraucana, Swedish Flower Hen and Basque.

Back
Top Bottom