Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters
Chicks are 5 weeks old now. Sold all the boys and am left with 18 pullets! Well, at least I think they are all pullets, only time will tell...

I love your chicks!
I was away for a week and came home to babies that exploded in size. My favorite in terms of personality and looks is a SFH x SF mix. She's so cute! I think it's an awesome mix so far! I have a Black Australorp that just went broody and I letting her sit on more SFH x SF eggs.

Her siblings are also really cute, particularly a SFH x SF cockerel that's developing a snow leopard coloring, and a pair of backyard Favacaunas (Lavender Ameraucana x SF), which so far are looking female.
So cute! I love watching them feather out.

I know these are older pics but i have not had time to comment sooner.

Well, I have 6 more of these! :) Bantam naked neck hen, standard Polish roo. Wasn't really wanting more but momma hid under the deck and refused to come out! :) She's determined. She came out yesterday flaunting what my husband called her popcorn chicken because they are such tiny yellow lumps! Lol

My 4day year old chick has little white bugs going in and out of his fur.. I've seen one on his head and one on his bum! What is this and how do I get rid of it? He seems very sleepy all the time and my other chicks weren't like that at his age
1f625.png

Is he the only chick? You need to most likely treat all of your poultry for mites or lice. I don't know what kind you have, or what you need to treat them with, especially at that age, but if you can see them, there is quite an infestation, and they will kill the chick. Post this thread on the disease forum, and do a thread search for treating mites/lice in baby chicks. Act quickly.

My hen just finished setting on six eggs. Five were fertile but sadly I only have three survivors (One died in its egg just before hatching, and the other was wounded and had to be put down).

Well, I have 6 more of these! :) Bantam naked neck hen, standard Polish roo. Wasn't really wanting more but momma hid under the deck and refused to come out! :) She's determined. She came out yesterday flaunting what my husband called her popcorn chicken because they are such tiny yellow lumps! Lol

They are precious what cutie pies they are!!!!! :love

My 4day year old chick has little white bugs going in and out of his fur.. I've seen one on his head and one on his bum! What is this and how do I get rid of it? He seems very sleepy all the time and my other chicks weren't like that at his age
1f625.png

Sounds like lice which means he got it mostly likely from momma.Being their babies your probably going to have to use something natural not toxic like DE which I don't find very effective for a large flock but if one bird has it theirs a very high chance the whole flock has it even if you dint see bugs on the others treat them anyhow.Get on it fast!!!! Even just a few days in advance can make a huge difference!!! They spread really quickly.But once treated the birds are just fine :) just takes persistence!

My hen just finished setting on six eggs. Five were fertile but sadly I only have three survivors (One died in its egg just before hatching, and the other was wounded and had to be put down).

Aw I'm sorry :( but at least you still have three!!!! :D

Thanks, guys. :) As much as I really didn't think I wanted her hatching more, these guys are melting me! I hust hope she's done for the year! Lol

I have to show off my absolute favorite little mix pullet I have had hatch this year. She's from my standard white naked neck and my buff laced polish roo. In fact, she's one of the puffballs in my avatar. She has a feathered neck, gorgeous slate legs, just enough crest to make her look like a princess, and the most gorgeous cream, buff/peach, and grey coloring. I think she will be a stunning hen! I am glad most of hers were girls because all of my bantam's were boys! I guess it evens out in the end! Lol Oh, and please ignore the duck feathers on my AC unit. My two young pekins groom there! Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom