Breeding class C seramas?

I have no personal experience, but from what I have read:
Seramas do not breed true for size class.
I have also read that the smallest size class (A) are often unable to breed.

If you cross any two Seramas--same size or different size--you are likely to get offspring in several different size classes. At least they should all be bantam size (smaller than standard chickens).

I think it's because Seramas are a relatively new breed, and they are likely to stabilize a bit more in the next few decades as breeders keep working with them.

Again, I have no personal experience, but I'm offering what I have read because no-one with experience has replied yet :)

Class C, is by weight and size. There is a chart on the web but I don't remember where I saw it. As far as Seramas go if your breeding you want class A and B in your flock. I actually hatched out 7 Serama chicks in December they were A and B group. I sold all 7 to a guy in the next town. It sold fast, I was surprised.

Anyway there are other Serama breeders here that can answer if there online.

I've bred Seramas for the past 8 years now to the American standard. As another post pointed out, Seramas don't breed to true to size. In fact, when selecting good breeding bird size is one of the last considerations, type and temperament should always come before size.

In my experience as well, class A sized Seramas are typically not the best breeders and are often times infertile. The smaller the hen, the more difficult of a time she will having laying as well and the eggs may be so small they are not viable. Typically, B sized birds are the best breeders while also considering size, however some class A birds will be fertile and those also make good breeders. It just depends. C sized birds can also be used, you just have to make sure the birds in your line aren't getting too big.

Back
Top Bottom