Breeding Compatibility and Rooster Identification

mraliks

Hatching
Nov 9, 2023
Greetings all,

I have a flock of brown leghorn chickens and am looking to incubate eggs at some point and would like to produce high egg laying offspring. I recently inherited a couple of roosters and need help in breed identification as well as recommendations on what roosters would be needed to hatch high egg producing leghorn style chicks.

Attachments

• 20231108_091212.jpg
    20231108_091212.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20231108_091053.jpg
    20231108_091053.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 13
I agree. For egg production, use another leghorn! White production type leghorns produce best, but sticking with brown would keep your flock producing well, and breeding the same genetics that you already have. I do like the browns, have some myself.
Mary

Thank you! I would love to stay within the leghorn family. how do I go about that without obtaining more chicks?

Mine are from Cackle, and I do like them. You might find a cockerel from a breeder, but be very careful doing that, you want to avoid introducing disease into your flock. And, where are your birds from, is that a possible source?
Getting chicks in spring would be my choice, straight run, so you can choose who to keep, and have pullets for your flock, a good thing to have every year or two. It sets back your breeding plans one year, but would be safest for your flock.
Mary

Mine are from Cackle, and I do like them. You might find a cockerel from a breeder, but be very careful doing that, you want to avoid introducing disease into your flock. And, where are your birds from, is that a possible source?
Getting chicks in spring would be my choice, straight run, so you can choose who to keep, and have pullets for your flock, a good thing to have every year or two. It sets back your breeding plans one year, but would be safest for your flock.
Mary

I was more so thinking hatching eggs. Still a risk for some diseases, but not as risky

Back
Top Bottom