Breeding for Red Pyle

Quote:
Nice bird.

This was actually an old thread that I found that was interesting to me.
Just inquring if this person has ever got their Leghorns going.

Thanks Draye, I got a slow start with my Araucana's. Most had been haphazardly bred so the colors are pretty messed up but the birds themselves have some good qualities. It's taken a couple of years to get some of the colors unraveled to get some standard colors to breed true and I'm still not there yet but the colors are getting cleaner. I kind of like some of the messed up colors though and they sell well so culling is not tough at all. The red pyle was a surprise but I had more after that so I know I'll have more since I've not culled the parents of that pullet. She was particularly nice and was a bit older before I sold her and a very nice, solid pullet with good size on her. I almost kept her.

The cockerel I'm offering for the cost to ship is a nice enough cockerel but has a few marks against him, not the vivid red showing but the shoulders are definitely showing the red pyle pattern for males and the poor comb. It can all be improved though if someone wanted to work on this color, better than going outside the breed anyway. If I wanted to make more of them, and better pyle markings, I figured I could breed him back to the BBR hen but I'm not sure I would, having better roosters that are closer to standard. BBR isn't something I'm working on, but the hen is nice enough I just haven't sold her.

This is a color I have been trying to work with for years, but have had numerous set backs. Key breeding stock would get sick, or die in freak accident, or never breed, etc. Always something. Here are pictures of a few I have had through the years. I am working on them again and should be able to make better progress now.

Cool color Silkies.

I'm selling off my final Silkie, lost too many and don't want to purchase anymore right now.

I would so love to be able to breed a Red Pyle Easter Egger. I just don't know if I have the right colors in my stock to get it done though.

This guy showed up in a friends silkie incubator. Her birds are varying degrees of Partridge. He has blue leakage, but looks Red Pyle.What can I breed him to to cleanup the blue?

This guy showed up in a friends silkie incubator. Her birds are varying degrees of Partridge. He has blue leakage, but looks Red Pyle.What can I breed him to to cleanup the blue?
He looks to be spash partridge. Breed to a red pyle and you will have a start at getting rid of the blue. You could breed to a paint and hope for the best...

from this hen and rooster

i got this pullet and cockerel am considering working on red pyle araucanas as well. does anyone know if this is within au colour standards in OEG?

Back
Top Bottom