Breeding for size

Let's keep track of our projects on this thread ok? I would like to see what comes of your cross. Maybe we could get 2 groups going and use each other for the "outside " bloodline since we will both be utilizing orpington roo.

Let's keep track of our projects on this thread ok? I would like to see what comes of your cross. Maybe we could get 2 groups going and use each other for the "outside " bloodline since we will both be utilizing orpington roo.

Sounds like a plan. Just got my Cornish x this morning and will be receiving my buff orps this month. So will be a little while before I can really get started lol.

I have a bit of a jump start. My hens are 13 months and Bob is 7-8 months so I'm seperating them this month. I just hatched 12 from my mixed and matched flock.
8 production red hens
5 white leghorn hens
5 black astrolorp hens
1 gold spitzhauben roo
1 silver spitzhauben roo
1 lavender orpington boy

They are 1 week and all mutts, I say with love.

I figured I would start with 1 big breed and one good laying breed to mix and get the size dual purpose bird I need. All extra cockerels and small or slow growing hens can be processed as to not breed small back in.

Sounds like a plan. Just got my Cornish x this morning and will be receiving my buff orps this month. So will be a little while before I can really get started lol.

You sound a bit like me. I get bored to death of having show quality stock that has only small room for improvement to meet a "standard". Progress in such projects can be painfully slow. I'm far more enthused by crossing two strains to create a hybrid, that often times is not only unique in looks, but grows faster and lays more eggs than either parent. Keep in mind that if you want good egg production, the cornish half may get in the way of this. Anyway, you can expect a lot of changes from one generation to the next on projects like yours - a lot of fun in my view. Good luck.

You sound a bit like me. I get bored to death of having show quality stock that has only small room for improvement to meet a "standard". Progress in such projects can be painfully slow.  I'm far more enthused by crossing two strains to create a hybrid, that often times is not only unique in looks, but grows faster and lays more eggs than either parent.  Keep in mind that if you want good egg production, the cornish half may get in the way of this.  Anyway, you can expect a lot of changes from one generation to the next on projects like yours - a lot of fun in my view. Good luck.

I'm not concerned with production from these. Just want a huge buff orp lol. Thanks.

It's going to be a while before I have an orpington / astrolorp mix. My roo is too busy being the protector to mate anyone.he struts around all day running all the outside critters off.

Switched my Cornish X to 12 hours on feed and 12 hours without at 2 weeks. They act starved to death in the mornings lol. Current plan is to switch to crack corn or scratch grains at 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom