Breeding Geese

What if I could get a hold of some rare Buff or Grey saddleback Pomeranians?
Well, see, although I'm no expert I'll give you an idea of individual markets for pheasants, Coturnix quail, and rare chickens in my area.
This is my area, so of course the demands will be different, but there is little demand for turkeys, geese, or even ducks.
Pheasants here are in high demand. People buy their hatching eggs for $50/dozen, or a breeding pair for $150. Pheasants mature in about 18-20 weeks. If I buy a trio, and in 3 weeks get about 12 eggs (that's the clutch size most lay. One pheasant hen lays about 3 eggs per week), I could make about $30 per month. Why only $30? Because feed costs $20. With a trio I would be selling a dozen or two per month at most, and be hard pressed to find more hens, or hatch my own.
Quail are in high demand here. They are by far the most profitable guys. You can keep 1 quail on 1 square foot of area. 1 cock covers 3-5 hens. You can keep quail in small animal cages, hutches, or build them an aviary. They truly are the "low budget" birds. Getting 20 quail isn't hard, so if you purchase 20 day olds, they mature in 8 weeks. They eat and drink far less than pheasants or big birds do. Hens lay an egg per day, so if I have 18 laying hens, I should be getting 15 eggs per day. That's a dozen per day! I could be selling, on average, 5 dozen per week. Folks in my area pay $20/dozen. That's $100 per week or $400 per month. $350 per month after you take away feed costs. Day old chicks can be charged $5-$10 for.
Rare breed chickens I don't have much experience with, but in my area, folks will pay up to $25 per chick, or $100/dozen hatching eggs, at the most.

If you are limited on space your best money maker is definitely quail. Quail only need 0.5-1 sq ft of space per bird, and only a coop/cage. Whereas chickens need 4 sq ft per bird in a coop, AND need to be let out. Pheasants need about 20 sq ft per bird in their run space and also need a coop.

Is that helpful at all?
Yes. I don't have the best set up for pheasants. When you say pheasants, do you mean just typical ring-neck or do you think ornamental breeds are profitable too? I know there may not be a lot of money in waterfowl but I enjoy them and I have the most knowledge on waterfowl

Yes. I don't have the best set up for pheasants. When you say pheasants, do you mean just typical ring-neck or do you think ornamental breeds are profitable too? I know there may not be a lot of money in waterfowl but I enjoy them and I have the most knowledge on waterfowl
Pheasants do require a covered run. Ring neck and Golden pheasants are both good.
If you want to focus on waterfowl I highly recommend focusing on a rarer, heritage breed of duck. I've seen Silver Appleyards go for $25/duckling

Pheasants do require a covered run. Ring neck and Golden pheasants are both good.
If you want to focus on waterfowl I highly recommend focusing on a rarer, heritage breed of duck. I've seen Silver Appleyards go for $25/duckling
Thanks! I will look into it more

Back
Top Bottom