Breeding girls

ktpaco

Chirping
Nov 25, 2015
Not sure which forum to pick, but I have a question for those who breed their own chicks.

So far, I've just let the chips fall on which rooster gets which hen, so I am ending up with some beautiful mixes. However, I do want to continue my line of silkie chickens that I bought from a breeder two years ago, and unfortunately none of my hatchlings have proved to be silkies. I have taken the silkie hens and the one silky rooster and put them in a pen area all by themselves. How long should I expect it to take for a result in those couplings? This rooster may be shooting blanks, or it is possible that none of those eggs were either fertile or viable - but now I am specifically looking at achieving this result, so my question is how many days (or weeks) do I need to give it to start collecting the eggs that are laid and incubating them?

Appreciate any info you can give!

Depends on how long it takes the roo to win over his harem.

I usually give it about 2 weeks before I try, so they work out personality differences. If you see him mounting but still getting blanks then you might need to trim fluff, under the vent for him, above the vent for ladies... though I haven't had to do this with my Silkies. It's possible he is clumsy and missing the mark. Or he could be blank or the hen even though laying eggs doesn't mean they are viable. Some fresh eggs will have wrinkly yolks when cracked. Hen age impacts ph of the albumin and it gets thinner with age. So flock age can have impact... I hatch eggs even from 4+ year old hens sometimes... some hatch, others don't.

Nutrition is key. I feed everyone 20% protein feed with oyster shell on the side and NOT diminished by low nutrient snacks like scratch or cracked/whole corn.

First generation Silkie crosses will be hard feathered. If you cross those back to each other... I believe about half would be Silkie feathered. While crosses are a LOT of fun... Pure's are also awesome and VERY marketable. :pop

Good luck! :jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom