Breeding Hambars/Hampbars

All right. I bet when this thread was started no one ever realized it would go on for 4 years. I have the, I guess what one would call the Hambar mutt rooster. Hambar in looks but not the best specimen. I have read that to get the double barring you can take it back to a New Hampshire and the daughter of that mating back to the father to try and creat a double barred rooster to start your breeding from. I then noticed that some call the hen a New Hampshire and you also see a New Hampshire Red. Is there a differnce in these two chickens? I have a local breeder that I believe is breeding true New Hampshire chickens if that is what I am looking for to take my rooster to, to start with. His are show quality, pure bred heritage chickens, not hatchery chickens. Not out rageous in price but $8 a chick. I want to know if the New Hampshire is the hen I need without the Red at the end of it's name and that I am looking at two, slightly different chickens? It seems that when I look these two birds up I can find information on both breeds. The New Hampshire Red coming from a combination of RIR.

There is no red at the end of the name... People simply call them incorrectly New Hampshire Reds... the APA lists them as New Hampshire... there is only one bird.. :) you must must remember that to breed true you have to have a double barred male.... the reason for this is that barred males of any breed carry two sets of barring genes... the females need just one.... so if you have a male that is incomplete for barring... single barred.. and that is all you have ... you can breed him to a NH female and get the correct female but the males will still be single barred... to get the complete double barred male you must breed a barred female to the single incomplete barred male this will give you a complete Hampbar.... :)

http://www.hpbaa.com/Hampbars.html

Keith
SC
USA

Yes. I realized I would take a female from the first line and breed it back to the father and the line off that should bring me double barred that I can then breed together to make the auto sexing I want. I have read some information on some of the sites that makes me wonder. I have picked up the thought that using production lines and not true bred lines make for better results. Does anyone have anything about that. I have a breeder here that breeds true, heritage New Hampshire chickens. Would that be a good bird to work with or taking birds from a hatchery be a better choice? I think some of the thoughts were that production lines also were bred to produce more eggs unlike heritage lines. We have talked and he mentioned that fact that he warns buyers that heritage lines were usually cross bred at some time in the past with heavier layers to creat the line they desired that laid more eggs and his lines didn't lay as many eggs as a line you might buy from a hatchery that probably was crossed at some time to be a heavier laying ,say a New Hampshire for example? I can look at mine and see he is not a high quality, double barred Hambar so I will be getting a New Hampshire hen to take him to, then the daughter back to him again in hopes of producing me some roosters and hens that will make for a good line to stay with.

Last edited:
Well, I have two...hoping they are both top notch!
Here is a pic of my little roo...I'm thinking of naming him Keith....thoughts?

I did get German New Hampshire to put with him. I went German as I thought they were a better looking bird, tend to be a little faster at maturing, they are a true duel purpose bird. I have a market here for eating birds too...I have to do something with my extra roos.

I went Hambar and not Rhondebar, because the New Hamp is just a much nicer bird. Roos are not nearly as mean as a RIR and I am finding NH roos just do not crow as much, or as loud.

But for now.....little "Keith" has 1 Hambar (i think it is a girl) 2 unsexed GNH and a RIRXfrizzle
And the 80 chicks that fit in the brooder with them.

Hey.. that is a great pic.. it really shows how white the males are at that age or at hatch... the female should look very much like any other New Hampshire female chick at hatch... now the name :)... His dads name is Blackeye... one day while feeding them months ago he looked like he had a black ring around his eye... it is now ok or at least clean.. ;) lol... my other male is named Buttons... he was as round as a button when just day old...

thanks

Keith
SC
USA

I know the chick in the back, with the black dot is a NH, as is the one laying down. So, I am guessing the headless one in front is the other Hambar. I do have a RIRXfrizzle and a Olive egger in there that look pretty close too.

Hmmm, I'm trying Keith on him for now....it is just not a very "chicken" name. The roos I have now are Renfield, Frosty and Paris...It is funny all the boys have names, but not all the hens.

Okay, off to feed the hoard of starving chicks, then off to bed in the truck....having a baby horse tonight! (maybe two....?)

German? There are German New Hampshire? Geez. Not sure what to do. I do need some more Buff Orpingtons and have thought of just ordering some New Hampshires and Buffs from a hatchery and taking my chances especially after talking to my local breeder. His Pure line NH lay, just not a many as some he knows others have had that have other bloodlines in them to bring out better layers. His are heritage and he shows them all over. Even the Rhodebars are said to get new life by placing them with Production Reds instead of continuing to place them with more Rhodebars or a Pure line RIR.

Hello can you give any helpful tips when it comes to your Delaware project. I have crossed my barred roo over NH hens and have 4 roos to choose from to cross back over my NH hens. Thanks cory

German? There are German New Hampshire? Geez. Not sure what to do. I do need some more Buff Orpingtons and have thought of just ordering some New Hampshires and Buffs from a hatchery and taking my chances especially after talking to my local breeder. His Pure line NH lay, just not a many as some he knows others have had that have other bloodlines in them to bring out better layers. His are heritage and he shows them all over. Even the Rhodebars are said to get new life by placing them with Production Reds instead of continuing to place them with more Rhodebars or a Pure line RIR.

Yes, that would be hybrid vigor. You find that in crossing almost any species, and get away from prebred, with all the issues that go with a "purebred"

I liked the fatter look of the GNH over the production NH. And the German lines have kept a bit more of a true duel purpose. I think it would just be personal preference.

Well, from what I have read on some, the production lines are more practical to most people since that was the original reason for them was egg production. I think that is why a lot of people has used them in crossing lines like this was to keep the egg production along with a sexing chicken. I think the breeder I am going to has both the heritage and german lines. I hope that I can look at both. He has all ready told me that he wants people that buy his chickens that prodution is not a selection he makes when he breeds his and most heritage line don't have a big production to them and that is why a lot of breeders started crossing was to get more production so I think the German line might be a better choice if the production is more. A sexing, heavy production chicken is what most are after.

Back
Top Bottom