Breeding or Maintenance Mazuri?

jajeanpierre

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2013
I am getting close to reordering feed for my pair of 13-month old White Chinese. The goose started laying last November before she was 5 months old. She laid until she was about 11 months in the spring. They are currently on the Mazuri maintenance formula.

I have just the two geese and Mazuri only comes in 50 pound bags. My thought was to buy the breeder formula even though they might not be in breeding condition until the spring.

Complicating it, I will be traveling with them from frigid Wyoming to Houston in November and back to Wyoming before Christmas.

Breeding or Maintenance? Thanks.

I love that you can afford Mazuri maintenance formula but its you and 2 great birdst. I remember last year about moving them while she was laying. So cool how much you love those 2. When she starts laying (your already on a great feed I cant afford for mine) Give her a little extra protein and vitamins. Add "shelled" sunflower and safflower seeds. adds protein and the extra E they need. Make sure you give her calcium "oyster shell" Youl be fine.

Mazuri maintenance with enough side oyster shell should be fine; in this way, the goose can get calcium as she needs without the gander getting calcium poisoned. Even better if you give her the other things JRies mentioned.

I feed mazuri maintenance to all my geese/ducks, regardless of age or gender. Since your gander does not need calcium, it is better to continue maintenance and then offer calcium free choice. Egg shells are the best source of calcium. Oyster shell is most common and found at your local feed store. Chewy also carries limestone and other calcium supplements that are on the expensive side, but I like to get them vs the 50lb bag of oyster shell at the feed store, since my birds seem to prefer the variety. FYI, you can buy mazuri in 12lb bags at chewy, but it is not cost effective compared to the 50lb bag.

Back
Top Bottom