Breeding sizzle and smooth siblings

ericadenise

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2016
Vancouver, WA

Here's Harold and Maude. They're Silkie/Cochin mix and Harold is a sizzle. They've got 5 toes and Little blue cheeks, but not Silkie feathered. If I breed them, is there any chance of getting a Silkie feathered bird, or will they all be smooth or possibly Frizzled? Is there any danger in breeding these two together?

welcome-byc.gif

Lots of folks here say not to breed siblings, but I've done it for a generation or two and not had an issue, if the parent stock is healthy and correct.

My understanding is, if each bird had a silkie parent, they're recessive for the silkie feathering. So, breeding them together would give you 25% silkie feathered chicks, 50% smooth feathered but carrying the silkie gene, and 25% smooth feathered not carrying the silkie gene.

I don't think the male is a sizzle, isn't that a frizzled silkie feathered bird? He's smooth feathered, so I think he's a frizzle. I'm not as up on frizzle genetics, but I think breeding a frizzle to a smooth gives half frizzle and half smooth offspring. So, breed enough chicks and you could get a sizzle, or a non-frizzled silkie feathered bird, or more frizzles or smooth mixes. Could be really fun seeing what you get
smile.png

In the picture, the smaller smooth bird is the Silkie/Cochin female and the bigger bird in the back is the Silkie/Cochin with Frizzled gene rooster. My understanding is that is what a sizzle is. A Frizzled Silkie/Cochin mix.

More apparent on the girl, but they have the Silkie traits of 5 toes and blue cheeks, and the male has the walnut comb, but hey aren't Silkie feathered. I was wondering if the Frizzled male and non Frizzled female could still be an issue for breeding since the female probably has recessive Frizzled gene? I'm planning to give it a go with them anyhow. I got these two babies from a local lady and it is possible that they came from the same parents but different clutches, so the male might be a month or two older than the female.

Back
Top Bottom