Brentwood farm lost 20 chickens and 10 turkeys to dog attack

Murder, by definition is the killing of humans (actually, homicide is). Not dogs and not cats. Dogs and cats are not people and considering them "part of the family" doesn't make them so.

As for the story, it sounds like a failed SSS (shovel, shovel, shut up in this case). If you're going to SSS, they better stick with it. Without bodies or a video or really credible witness, the only thing they can get you with is tricking a confession out of you.

Yes, murder concerns people. Good point.

In the article, the woman whose dogs were killed said she wants to change the law. How would that work? You see dogs killing your livestock and all you can do is make loud noises to try to scare the dogs away. Crazy.

If you hit the dog with something like a shovel, you might kill the dog. Then the owner of the livestock, under the proposed law, would get jail time for protecting livestock. I don't think this law will fly. California has a lot of agricultural land and a lot of livestock, and I am sure people want to protect that livestock.

I like dogs, but people have a right to defend their livestock. I don't see how the law can work otherwise.

I LOVE dogs, and any dog that I do not own gets ONE chance if it goes after my animals. The dogs is rounded up, if tagged, returned to the owners with a warning. If not tagged, it gets penned up and a few days of a flyer at local businesses and vet offices and a call to a radio station. No one claims, animal shelter. If any dog returns after their one chance, the owner gets a dog returned and has to dig a hole.

Beating it to death with a shovel... Not so much.

EDIT:

Are you expected to give back the bodies? I don't see a problem with burning/burying them as long as they were undoubtedly dead when it happened.

Also, how did they get a collar and tag with blood on it back? I doubt the man would remove this before disposing of the animals' corpses. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, here is a little resolution: The Bentwood dog owner now understands the laws protecting livestock a little better and is no longer accusing anyone of a brutal murder. However, her tune has changed and she now blames an unspecified 'neighbor's dog' as the reason her dogs got out. A sad situation all around. At least it is closure - somewhat.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/eas...-owner-says-chain-events-led-her?source=email

Ellen Barkley said the man should have just called her. :) According to the article, the woman was out of town. And even if she was at home, by the time she drove several miles to Christ's home the dogs could have killed all the chickens and turkeys.

I think Barkley is changing her tune because she found out she could get a fine for her dogs running loose and attacking livestock.

It seems Christ was fired for burning and burying the dogs at his work site.

I think it is unlikely that a person could kill the two dogs with a shovel. If one dog were hit, I think the other dog would run away. Maybe they did not want to say they shot the dogs, but it is legal to shoot an animal attacking livestock, as far as I know. You can also shoot within the city limits to protect yourself from attack. Well, I would have shot the dogs but I am not supposed to shoot a gun within the city limits? :)

It is strange that there is no evidence that the dogs attacked chickens or turkeys. I suspect the dogs ran onto the property and started after the chickens and turkeys and the owner's son shot the two dogs. Then Christ and his son tried to get rid of the dogs to avoid the hassle of talking to police or the owner of the dogs.

What I really don't understand is how anyone found out Christ's son had killed the dogs. If they would not had said anything, no one would have known what happened to the dogs.

On Monday Animal Control recovered still warm ashes of bludgeoned dogs.
On Thursday Animal Control recovered the intact remains of shot dogs.
So who's warm ashes were recovered Monday?

On Monday Animal Control recovered still warm ashes of bludgeoned dogs.
On Thursday Animal Control recovered the intact remains of shot dogs.
So who's warm ashes were recovered Monday?

Now we get the whole story. I thought it sounded like the dogs must have been shot.

The ashes recovered earlier were just ashes from a wood fire.

"Officials said that Jon Christ, thinking that his father would get in trouble for discharging his gun within city limits, tried to protect him by removing the dogs' bodies and assuming the blame for their deaths."

You are allowed to shoot to protect livestock or people under attack, even within city limits, as I mentioned earlier. Just don't accidentally shoot someone or their house.

This whole thing would have been a different story if Christ had just called Animal Control after he shot the two dogs. That would have been the end of it.

I have animals from Finches to Emu's, goats, bucking bulls, a pig, dogs and cat's.

I love animals, I have a bunch that free range and about 20+ breeding pen's.

So I am the first one to protect my livestock, I have 6 dogs outside, Nite Guards and Game camera's.

But if the man "really" killed the dog's with a shovel, that is just disgusting. Now the story might have changed again.......

Yes you have the RIGHT to protect your livestock. BUT it is usually VERY POOR OWNER'S of these dog's that let's these attacks happen, and the dog, just being a dog suffer's for it. Which I find very disturbing.

I live in the sticks, no leash laws, we are pet central for drop off's of unwanted cat's and dog's. But my dog's, all 6 of them are ALWAYS on a run.

Back
Top Bottom