Frikkie's Miracle Survival and Recovery [includes graphic images]

@CCUK thank you for recommending the plastic drinkers, I found one at a shop in town and I am happy with my choice. Bought the 12 liter drinker.

20190302_115852.jpg

Added 4 new hens (Lohman Brown) to the flock, today is the 3rd day and seems like they have all accepted each other.

20190302_145249.jpg

Just a couple of pictures to give an update on Frikkie's healing wounds. Many new tail feathers! I am very pleased with is current state.

20190302_145329.jpg
20190302_145343.jpg
20190302_145336.jpg

Good choice of hens! They look happy in their new home and frikkie looks great! He still must be sore though. Just watch that the other hens don't take an interest in his wound and start pecking him. If they do you can get some purple spray (blue kote or gentian violet) and spray some on. It's good for wounds and the hens don't seem interested in the purple colour.

@CCUK thank you for recommending the plastic drinkers, I found one at a shop in town and I am happy with my choice. Bought the 12 liter drinker.

View attachment 1690381

Added 4 new hens (Lohman Brown) to the flock, today is the 3rd day and seems like they have all accepted each other.

View attachment 1690377

Just a couple of pictures to give an update on Frikkie's healing wounds. Many new tail feathers! I am very pleased with is current state.

View attachment 1690378 View attachment 1690380 View attachment 1690379

It is just amazing what you have done for him. Geat job!!

He looks amazing! I agree that you should watch for picking from the others. BluKote is the general recommendation but it stains. Making seeing and monitoring the wound difficult.
View attachment 1690540
I would inspect that bump as well. It looks like a possible ingrown feather.
Good eye!

Wow! He looks amazing! How have your new girls settled in?

They are great! For the past 10 days, I have been treated with one egg a day. Lovely to see how they adapt to their new surroundings and how they are getting braver every day to stay out in the chicken yard for longer times.

This is Rakkaus, she is the explorer and the tamest of them all. She runs to my feet when I enter the chicken yard and allows me to stroke her. She and Frikkie is also getting along very well, she is around him most of the time when outside and I have even seen him finding treats and calling her for the treat when she is around him.
IMG_0088.JPG

This is Toivo, she is also quite tame and runs to my feet but does not allow me to touch her. She will go out to explore when Rakkaus and Frikkie is out exploring. Funny to she that she is running most of the time when she moves from one spot to another.
IMG_0081.JPG

This is Armo, she stays in the tractor most of the time unless I am in the chicken yard then she will come outside and explore while I am around. As soon as I leave the yard she goes inside again.
IMG_0084.JPG

This is Usko, she also stays in the tractor with Armo most of the time and will come out to explore when I am there in the chicken yard. I do not see her hanging around Frikkie much. I have seen her and Frieda pecking at each other (don't think they like one another) and Frieda is with Frikkie most of the time so I guess it might be the reason why.
IMG_0078.JPG

Back
Top Bottom