Frikkie's Miracle Survival and Recovery [includes graphic images]

20190208_121749.jpg

20190208_121743 (2).jpg

20190208_121807 (2).jpg

20190208_121527 (2).jpg

You can put liquid propolis straight onto wounds. I would check what it is suspended in. Sometimes it is in alcohol or ethanol. That's not a bad thing but can sting open wounds.

You may want to hold off putting it in his water. Its cleanses the system and can make them go to the bathroom even more. If he had internal infection that would be good but I worry with that wound so close to his vent. I think less poo is better for now.

If you can try to get any feathers away from and out if his wounds. They can get stuck and pull at the wound itself slowing healing. They also act as a wick that can bring bacteria into the wound.

Keep an eye on his crop to make sure it's working properly. It should be empty in the morning and full before bed. You can chop the raw garlic and put it in his eggs. Some of mine will just eat it. No need to mix it with anything. You can also wet his normal chicken feed. Most chickens think it's a great treat. Another easy way to give him some garlic. I suggest a bowl of grit for him now that he's inside. He may need it to aid digestion now that he isn't foraging.

He is looking good. Keep it up.

Up until the day of the attack I gave him only foul feed and he ate whatever else he could find in the garden while free ranging.

Since last night I can hear his tummy growling, and I am not sure if this is because he is not eating enough or maybe due to the seeds that I gave him yesterday
Check his crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before he has had anything to eat/drink.
I would encourage him to eat his normal feed along with some extra protien (egg, fish, meat). If you have him inside, provide him with a source of grit free choice (crushed granite, course sand) so he can process the foods that you offer.
I admire that you are treating him holistically. If he declines further, you may want to consider antibiotics to help fight any infection. Does he have any strong or bad odors about him? I don't know what you have available to you, so you may need to seek out a vet for medications.

Thank you for the updates. I hope he makes a full recovery.

@FlyingNunFarm, The liquid propolis I have is suspended in ethanol, I applied it to he wounds as recommended thank you. I think after I used the alcohol to remove the maggots the other night this sting was nothing in comparison. But, I feel so sorry for him for all the pain he experienced up to date. Good to know about the propolis that cleanses the system, thank you, I did not add it to his water I added honey instead. I also cut away more of the feathers to get them away from the wounds as recommended.

If you have him inside, provide him with a source of grit free choice (crushed granite, course sand) so he can process the foods that you offer.

@Wyorp Rock, this is very interesting! Thank you for bringing this under my attention, I assume this is the reason we he was pecking the grout on the bathroom floor... On the same day you posted your message about the grit I added a sand box to the bathroom were I keep Frikkie for now. I added a really big box for him because I thought he might enjoy sticking his toes in the sand a bit and he can eat as much as he needs to. An boy! What a please it was to watch him, he enjoyed it so much in the sand. I then decided to bring Frieda in to visit him to boost his mood even more.

Does he have any strong or bad odors about him? I don't know what you have available to you, so you may need to seek out a vet for medications.

No bad smell that I notice, I am in town today and can try to get some medication from a vet.

I still need to monitor his crop more closely, however at the moment I cannot pick up that anything is wrong. He has a good appetite, definitely prefers his normal feed, oats, and seeds at the moment. He did not eat the yogurt or boiled egg that I offered him.
20190208_171536.jpg

20190208_171335.jpg

Hi all,

Frikkie is still going strong! The past 3 days I took him outside during the day (he still sleeps inside every night) and left him with Frieda in a confined space where I can still keep a close eye on him. I get paranoid whenever I see a fly, those maggots disturbed my peace of mind I have not recovered yet... I installed a fly trap next to where thy are confined and it seems like it is keeping away most of the flies

20190212_093327.jpg

Many new feathers are starting to grow out, it is the first time I ever see this. It is amazing!

20190215_073937.jpg

The dead skin that covered the one wound is loose on the one side on his back. It seems like it will fall off but rather a large part of it is still attached to his side. Should I just leave it or would you recommend that I cut off the part that is loose? See the below image in the red block is the dead skin I am referring to.

20190215_074009 (2).jpg

I am pleased to see that the wound close to his vent is also healing very well. I am still applying ointment to all the wounds once a day. I applied some ointment here, I spread it out over the area after taking the picture. Even some new feathers around this area as well.

20190215_074336.jpg

I am adding a couple more pictures so you can see the state of the wounds at the moment, please comment if you see anything of concern... Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

20190215_074142.jpg
20190215_073932.jpg
20190215_074341 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom