Bringing Ducklings to Work?

1000003206.jpg

Here's a recent picture of Shrimp and Chicken. They are a little over 4 weeks old now. I stopped taking them to work after the first week because as they got larger it became tricky figuring out a good set up for them without having to carry around their big brooder box my husband built for them. This week I started putting them in Popcorn's coop while popcorn is out free ranging for the day so they can get acquainted. It's an open air coop with chicken wire so the ducks can see each other. I was feeling sorry for them in the house all day and figured a change of scenery and fresh air would be good. Before I go to work and after I come home, I give them some time to mingle while I change their water and get Popcorn her dinner. Popcorn seemed really scared at first (I cracked up seeing our big Pekin jump back at the sight of two fluffy ducklings). By now Popcorn seems calmer and is just eager to be accepted by the two youngsters. Chicken, the more obnoxious one of the two, showed a lot of aggression towards popcorn and it made me worry again about her sex though I keep reminding myself there's bossy females, too. It seems like the ducklings have formed their own micro flock and are cautious about letting a third join. It breaks my heart because Popcorn is such a gentle giant and she just wants to belong. Plus her coop has just been taken over by a few rude girls who won't give her the time of day! I give her a pep talk every morning before I leave for work. "Don't be afraid to put yourself out there today! Just be yourself! Anyone would be lucky to have you as a friend!" She bobs her head and quacks when I leave as if to say "please don't go!!" 😢

I still haven't gotten a picture of the three of them since I watch them so closely when they're loose with Popcorn. The babies come in for the night and they snuggle with me in front of the TV, it's so sweet. I'm going to miss having them in the house, but I won't miss the poop!!

View attachment 3805227
Here's a recent picture of Shrimp and Chicken. They are a little over 4 weeks old now. I stopped taking them to work after the first week because as they got larger it became tricky figuring out a good set up for them without having to carry around their big brooder box my husband built for them. This week I started putting them in Popcorn's coop while popcorn is out free ranging for the day so they can get acquainted. It's an open air coop with chicken wire so the ducks can see each other. I was feeling sorry for them in the house all day and figured a change of scenery and fresh air would be good. Before I go to work and after I come home, I give them some time to mingle while I change their water and get Popcorn her dinner. Popcorn seemed really scared at first (I cracked up seeing our big Pekin jump back at the sight of two fluffy ducklings). By now Popcorn seems calmer and is just eager to be accepted by the two youngsters. Chicken, the more obnoxious one of the two, showed a lot of aggression towards popcorn and it made me worry again about her sex though I keep reminding myself there's bossy females, too. It seems like the ducklings have formed their own micro flock and are cautious about letting a third join. It breaks my heart because Popcorn is such a gentle giant and she just wants to belong. Plus her coop has just been taken over by a few rude girls who won't give her the time of day! I give her a pep talk every morning before I leave for work. "Don't be afraid to put yourself out there today! Just be yourself! Anyone would be lucky to have you as a friend!" She bobs her head and quacks when I leave as if to say "please don't go!!" 😢

I still haven't gotten a picture of the three of them since I watch them so closely when they're loose with Popcorn. The babies come in for the night and they snuggle with me in front of the TV, it's so sweet. I'm going to miss having them in the house, but I won't miss the poop!!
If I were to take a wild guess I would think your lighter colored one is a male and the darker a female. I don't know if they were sexed ducklings or not. They sure are cutie pies!

View attachment 3805227

Sounds like you’re doing a great job with these lovelies.

Chicken and Shrimp are old enough to be voice-sexed now, so if you can get a video of their voices, upload it to YouTube, and link it here, we can confirm their genders for you :)

Sounds like you’re doing a great job with these lovelies.

Chicken and Shrimp are old enough to be voice-sexed now, so if you can get a video of their voices, upload it to YouTube, and link it here, we can confirm their genders for you :)
Omg, yes! I totally forgot that I could do that now. They are still peeping but occasionally i hear a random honk. I should be in the clear. I will upload a video if I start to get doubtful again, so far I haven't heard the whispery croak sounds I associate with the males...

thank you for the tip!

If I were to take a wild guess I would think your lighter colored one is a male and the darker a female. I don't know if they were sexed ducklings or not. They sure are cutie pies!
They were sexed by Metzer farms as female, I just keep getting paranoid one is a male because her personality is so obnoxious lol

They were sexed by Metzer farms as female, I just keep getting paranoid one is a male because her personality is so obnoxious lol
Keep us posted as to what they turn out to be. Metzer got my two Mallard ducklings a few years back right when I ordered two females but anyone can make a mistake when sexing them that young. I was just going by the shape of their heads. My Call duck that I think is a boy has a flatter head and the one I am calling a girl has a more rounded one on top. The rear end of my possible girl is pointed too and the one I think is a drake has a blunt rear end. I could be wrong but so far I have almost always been able to sex them. One time because of the whistle I thought I had one of each and it turned out to be two hens. One of these are whistling too which usually means a boy but could also be a girl.

Omg, yes! I totally forgot that I could do that now. They are still peeping but occasionally i hear a random honk. I should be in the clear. I will upload a video if I start to get doubtful again, so far I haven't heard the whispery croak sounds I associate with the males...

thank you for the tip!
If they’re both doing the random honk, then they’re almost certainly girls. Boys will keep their baby peep until around 8 - 10 weeks, and then start to get the whispery croak.

Keep us posted as to what they turn out to be. Metzer got my two Mallard ducklings a few years back right when I ordered two females but anyone can make a mistake when sexing them that young. I was just going by the shape of their heads. My Call duck that I think is a boy has a flatter head and the one I am calling a girl has a more rounded one on top. The rear end of my possible girl is pointed too and the one I think is a drake has a blunt rear end. I could be wrong but so far I have almost always been able to sex them. One time because of the whistle I thought I had one of each and it turned out to be two hens. One of these are whistling too which usually means a boy but could also be a girl.
yeah, i'm seeing pretty good reviews regarding Metzer's sexing accuracy so that's comforting. Either way, if one turns out to be a boy, I will just force him to be my lap duck and take him everywhere with me to keep him out of trouble :)

yeah, i'm seeing pretty good reviews regarding Metzer's sexing accuracy so that's comforting. Either way, if one turns out to be a boy, I will just force him to be my lap duck and take him everywhere with me to keep him out of trouble :)
He would love that!!! lol They are probably both Hens which will work out great for you. I know either way they will be loved and cared for. So will mine. Mine had to be unsexed being little Call Ducks so I will be fine either way.

Back
Top Bottom