Bringing indoors - winter emergency (sort of)

Yes -16C. mm-hmm! And they are outside and busy.

I would say (others please weigh in) at least double the bedding, leave pop door open and vent upper area as much as possible. Frostbite occurs with high humidity and temps around 32F.

Great advice thanks.

Have 6 hens in a 3x 6 coop. Loads of room. Ventilation quite good I believe. Can't leave pop door open as not attached to a run so need to protect them from foxes. However, during the day I open the side doors to air it and put DE on walls now and again to dry. Also, have a small bag of salt high up to extract moisture. Also put Vaseline on their combs every few days.

Lol, at night they are in the coop on their roost. Unheated and uninsulated and well-vented with pop door open and upper ventilation. They raise the temp in the coop 10-15F every night and come tumbling out in the day. I give them warm water and warm FF in the morning. They are fine. I put castor oil on their combs once in a while. Not frostbitten yet. The frostbite on combs is usually due to high moisture in the air, not temp alone.

I have learned a lot from you on this site about the problems of humidity and it has really helped me. Thanks Mobius.

Yes -16C. mm-hmm! And they are outside and busy. And @Blooie and others have far colder temps than I and their chickens are fine.

I would say (others please weigh in) at least double the bedding, leave pop door open and vent upper area as much as possible. Frostbite occurs with high humidity and temps around 32F.

This might help (shameless plug): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ventilation-experiment-post-your-results-here

Let us know what you think!

LOL have looked at this but as an English teacher I struggle with numbers.
lau.gif

Frostbite occurs with high humidity and temps around 32F.

LOL. 32F. (or 0 Celsius) is hot as far as my chickens are concerned. Humidity is low in the winter with 2 chickens and in general where we live except for rainy days in the summer or fall.

I guess if I had 30+ chickens piled into my little 10 X 12 house then, yes, the humidity would be ghastly. Only speaking about my own conditions here - never any frostbite until night time temperatures seriously dip. I imagine it is painful for the animals. I mean, combs aren't like fingernails or feathers, they are fleshy. Any info on this?

If I had access to some small hay or straw bales I could indeed make an indoor shelter within the chicken house instead of housing them in my bathroom shower stall (they don't go into the rest of the bathroom). I don't know where to get any, anymore. They only sell those big stupid round bales now.

Thanks, Blooie for your input. It is very much appreciated!

Frostbite occurs with high humidity and temps around 32F.

LOL. 32F. (or 0 Celsius) is hot as far as my chickens are concerned. Humidity is low in the winter with 2 chickens and in general where we live except for rainy days in the summer or fall.

I guess if I had 30+ chickens piled into my little 10 X 12 house then, yes, the humidity would be ghastly. Only speaking about my own conditions here - never any frostbite until night time temperatures seriously dip. I imagine it is painful for the animals. I mean, combs aren't like fingernails or feathers, they are fleshy. Any info on this?

If I had access to some small hay or straw bales I could indeed make an indoor shelter within the chicken house instead of housing them in my bathroom shower stall (they don't go into the rest of the bathroom). I don't know where to get any, anymore. They only sell those big stupid round bales now.

Thanks, Blooie for your input. It is very much appreciated!

Could you block some of it off sweetie with wood or a windbreaker? I also use cardboard boxes - flattened-would this be useful?

Mind you, if I had my way-and a bigger house- they would ALL be in here with me and my four cats LOL.

Not really helping am I but I hope I'm making you smile
big_smile.png

I would personally get one of those flat panel wall heaters and put them back in the coop. Bring them inside is similar to you sitting in the house with your thickest parka on. We get way colder than that. I haven't had a chicken freeze to death yet. Tonight will be -10 Fahrenheit, which is about -25 Celsius. We also have wind chills up to -30, which is similar temperatures in both scales.

LOL have looked at this but as an English teacher I struggle with numbers.
lau.gif
Are you listening @mobius ??
frow.gif
In recognition of the international nature of BYC, consider adding the Celcius temps and expand your audience! I'm an interested subscriber to your thread btw. I'm in Wisconsin but my temps were similar to yours and I find it very reassuring to follow your experiment, my 1st winter with chickens.

I would personally get one of those flat panel wall heaters and put them back in the coop. Bring them inside is similar to you sitting in the house with your thickest parka on. We get way colder than that. I haven't had a chicken freeze to death yet. Tonight will be -10 Fahrenheit, which is about -25 Celsius. We also have wind chills up to -30, which is similar temperatures in both scales.

When I read posts like this I realise what a wuss I am concerning my little ladies. Thanks
lau.gif

When I read posts like this I realise what a wuss I am concerning my little ladies.  Thanks :lau
I do feel bad for my chickens too, but I'm looking at it from a human point of view. Animals need to acclimate, and not be switched back and forth between temperature extremes which can cause stress. Mine will sit on the floor puff up and warm their feet, or go to roost to warm up. Two chickens should be able to keep each other warm at night. Just make sure your coop isn't drafty and they have room to move around during the day.

I do feel bad for my chickens too, but I'm looking at it from a human point of view. Animals need to acclimate, and not be switched back and forth between temperature extremes which can cause stress. Mine will sit on the floor puff up and warm their feet, or go to roost to warm up. Two chickens should be able to keep each other warm at night. Just make sure your coop isn't drafty and they have room to move around during the day.

Ha ha. I have 6 and although I am a wuss- am dedicated to acclimatising them.

They have lots of room during the day.

Thanks so much.

he.gif

Remember-we are on lock down for avian flu in England

Back
Top Bottom