Brinsea EcoGlow 50 - anyone have problems with them?

Thank you for all the replies! I read, and was told, that keeping a thermometer under it will not give an accurate temp because it is a contact heat, it doesn't heat the air under it, that is why the chicks need to be able to actually snuggle up against it, to get the heat.

When I was attempting to check the temp, I flipped it upside down and laid the thermometer ON the black underside. It took several minutes for it to reach 104+. My biggest thing was that it "felt" too hot to me, when I put my hand on the black side and moved it around, there were some spots that were uncomfortable for me to touch and were hot enough I jerked my hand away. Now, like with hot dish-water, where you stick your hands in and out quickly the first couple of times, after a few times, I was able to leave my hand on the "hot spots" without pain. So that is why I am wondering if it is supposed to be that hot or if there is a way to actually read the temp... I got to thinking an infrared laser thermometer probably wouldn't work because it is contact only that draws the heat.

7L Farm: if it raised chicks and quail and none of them got cooked, yours is probably just fine :) My first one may have been, as none of my chicks died with it and the one I have right now might just be fine also. I just wish when I call Brinsea up they would say something like "yes, it is normal for it to feel hot to the touch at first" or something to reassure me that it is working properly. I have asked them, both times, if feeling that hot was normal and they said "We will just send you another one".... hmmmm

Yes, I would think that a customer rep should be available to talk to you about the product, but at least they are amazing about standing up for customer satisfaction! Sending you out two after is pretty rare these days. Most companies aren't that supportive. I have 10 4 day old chicks out in a brooder with a EcoGlow20 and so far I think all is well. I do notice that they sometimes lay in it with their head and neck facing out, thought that was interesting. Thank you for the information on how it works, I too thought about putting a thermometer under it, but that would not read accurately since it is about contact heat. My little one were jumping on it the second day, too cute. Wondering when I should change to the middle height, I guess when they are bigger.

I got the '20', when I first got it, I actually thought it wasn't hot enough, mine usually registerd 85 on the black part, after talking to people who had it, found this was normal since it's a different heat, my chicks were fine with it,

yours sounds kinda hot tho, I never felt like my hands were burning,,maybe there is a defect? I would tell the company

Well, this morning my new chicks have pasty butt
sad.png

I raised the EcoGlow and am considering taking it out as the bottom black panel has continued to warp. I am going to try and figure out an alternate heat source, maybe a lamp upside down or something or see if I can find my husband mechanics light and put in a low watt bulb.

I called Brinsea again to see when the new one would arrive and it will not be here until Tuesday! Ugh. I am worried about the darn thing cooking my chicks now and causing a fire.

I did get to talk to the representative a bit more and she took this ones serial number to see if the first one and this one were out of the same batch. She agrees that something is definitely going wrong and they should NOT feel hot to the initial touch at all, just warm which will increase as you keep your hand there, but never to an uncomfortable level.

Just frustrated.

Hi Debir1966,

Sorry about your chicks having pasty butt. I am so afraid of any of my girls getting anything as I am such a newbie, I would be at a total loss! Since this thread started, I have been taking extra watch about how the girls hang out under the Brinsea. When cleaning the brooder pen before tucking them in last night, I touched the pad, and it was sort of how you explained it should be, warm at first, which increased as I kept my hand there, but I wouldn't say it was comfortable. I counted to about 15 seconds, and I found I wanted to remove my hand. I too as you explained wash dishes in very hot water, and for years, I was always frightened when bathing my children as I can stand a lot hotter water than any poor babies could! I am wondering if the unit runs a bit hot as well, as all the chicks sleep with only thier butts under the unit, and thier necks and heads out. I tried to take a picture last night of all 10 of them, 5 on each side sleeping with thier heads out. It was like they had been tucked in under a blanket. Temps at the time was about 78, but the shed they were in was warmer. I have had no signs of any warping, or anything like that. I notice they all love to hang out on top of it too. Hmmm....

deb, are you using ACV in their water? I am 'new' to having my own chickens as well, I put ACV (braggs brand unfiltered/organic apple cider vinegar) in their water every single day and continue to do so, mine will be 8 weeks on monday..have never had one case of pasty butt, now whether it's the ACV or not, some say yes others say no benefit..whatever, I'm continuing the ACV, thought maybe you could try it if your not already.

Also, I missed it, how old are you babies?? Mine didn't care a hoot about the ecoglow heater (other than perching on it) when they were just about 2 weeks old.

If your house is warm, or they are in a warm climate, honestly I don't think 95 is necessary .. I was going to go with a heat lamp, but they get REALLY hot, and I'm fire paranoid...but until you get your new brinsea, maybe just try using a regular light bulb on one end of the brooder..

just some ideas
diane

Melabella: With my first bunch, even though I felt the EcoGlow was getting too warm, they spent ALOT of time under it. But I noticed that different areas of the bottom plate were at different temps and there were only 2 or 3 places that felt too hot. The current one I have is too hot over a larger area and with it warping the bottom plate, I am in no doubt this time that it is getting way too hot. This batch of chicks also spend alot more time out from under it than the first ones did.

Jakoda: Yes, I do use unfiltered raw ACV, but not every day, about 1-2 times a week. My first batch of chicks, which are now a month old, didn't have any pasty butt or any other problems and I had 29 chicks and 5 poults. The current chicks are 4 days old today, we have had them 2 days. I have 13 chicks this time. My older ones spent more time on top of the EcoGlow than under it by 2 weeks old and I removed it when they were 3 weeks (most of them went outside then actually). I too am paranoid about fire especially in this old of a house LOL.

I am really hoping the 3rd EcoGlow will be functioning correctly. They are actually going to take it out of the box and test it before they send it, but I hope they do so correctly... I know, they build 'em you would think they would know how to test them, but they need to take into consideration bedding proximity and full contact and to test the whole bottom, not just one spot, because like I said, my first EcoGlow only got uncomfortably hot in about 2 areas, the rest of the base was fine.

I went ahead and ordered the smaller EcoGlow as well... I was going to get it later anyway, but I don't like not having a backup especially after the problems I have had and I have not heard of anyone having any heat issues with the 20, and it would be better for my smaller batches of chicks like the ones I have in the brooder right now.

I wanted to post an update.

I got a call from a very nice gentlemen with a lovely english accent today from Brinsea. He told me they tested my first EcoGlow 50 and it was working correctly. We talked extensively about my concerns, the response I received with their customer service, etc. He also gave me several options on how to proceed and left the choice to me. I decided, since they had tested my first EcoGlow and it WAS working right to have them mail that one back to me and return the 2nd one versus getting another new one and starting all over again.

I explained to him that the first time I called with my concerns, I had also wanted to find out more information on the EcoGlow but that there customer services was so good that they just sent me a new one LOL. He told me that they would have a meeting with their people and educate them on answering and asking questions to verify if the EcoGlow was working as it should. I also suggested that they put up a FAQ on their website and he thought that would be a great idea also.

I am completely satisfied with my exprience with Brinsea and would highly recommend them to anyone! They are 100% committed to customer satisfaction and are extremely courteous and professional (with a nice easy-going down-home attitude!). You couldn't ask for more :)

He said that if the EcoGlow malfunctions, it will just quit working all together. He is also going to let me know if the 2nd one is working correctly. He explained what temp it is supposed to reach, but he was talking celcius and I was talking fahrenheit LOL so I am still unsure of the exact temperaters LOL. I will write down what they are when he calls back and look it up.

So, if the light on the top is on its a OK. I'm not sure I understand what you were telling me about putting a thermometer under it to get a reading. That won't work heck that's how I've always done it with mine. I've lost count on how many times I've used the brooder. Never had a problem. Knock on wood. Well, anyway hope everything works out for you.

According to Brinsea you cannot get an accurate reading putting a thermometer under it. Air temperature will not show an accurate reading. I didn't get a conclusive answer about sitting a thermometer ON the black plate to get a reading. I asked him to please make a FAQ to explain how the EcoGlow works and how to check to make sure the one you have is working correctly. Some people go on faith, and some people go on evidence LOL. I lean towards the latter especially if something is not doing what I thought it should given the information made available to me (even if I misinterpret that information for whatever reason - my misunderstanding or vagueness on the part of the company). I would still like to verify myself that my EcoGlow is not cooking my chicks, but I am confident the one they are sending me IS working as it should since they tested it to verify that.

Back
Top Bottom