Oh, sorry, missed your link above to your full experience. I'm following the link now. My biggest concern is getting the temp correct. one person I spoke with about the Brinsea said they are great and I can just set it and forget it...I will stick the hygrometer inside though to monitor the humidity.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. that is the size of the one I have used in the past with my still air incubator. I put it in my Brinsea Mini (no eggs set yet) just to see what kind of reading I'm getting and it was like 5 degrees cooler on the floor of the incubator. So the Brinsea was holding at 99.5 degrees F but my small hygrometer/thermometer read 94.6 degrees. That seems like a huge difference. Do you futz with your Brinsea temps or just leave it at 99.5 and walk away?

Hey there! I don't think I included the temperature variations in my article, but the Brinsea seems to keep its temps pretty regulated. My little thermometer is also about 3 degrees off but the 6 eggs I've got in the 'bator currently are all developing really well despite that. I just set it to 99.5 and don't fuss with it after I've set everything the way I need it to be. :)

Hey there! I don't think I included the temperature variations in my article, but the Brinsea seems to keep its temps pretty regulated. My little thermometer is also about 3 degrees off but the 6 eggs I've got in the 'bator currently are all developing really well despite that. I just set it to 99.5 and don't fuss with it after I've set everything the way I need it to be. :)

Thank you again for getting back to me. I'm going to do as you suggest and not fuss over temps.

I have one more question (if you don't mind): I read your longer essay about your hatching experience and I had a question about getting the humidity up during lockdown,. you said you put a paper towel in the bator and that worked better than filling the center well with water. I've used the paper towel method in my still air incubator--I have a hole in the top of the incubator that I use to pipette water onto the towel.

Here is the question: Did you have to reapply water to the paper towel during lockdown and how did you get it in there without raising the lid...or did you raise the lid to re-wet the towel?

Thanks again for all your time. Our hatching eggs are coming this week so we will be incubating by Saturday! Can't wait!

Thank you again for getting back to me. I'm going to do as you suggest and not fuss over temps.

I have one more question (if you don't mind): I read your longer essay about your hatching experience and I had a question about getting the humidity up during lockdown,. you said you put a paper towel in the bator and that worked better than filling the center well with water. I've used the paper towel method in my still air incubator--I have a hole in the top of the incubator that I use to pipette water onto the towel.

Here is the question: Did you have to reapply water to the paper towel during lockdown and how did you get it in there without raising the lid...or did you raise the lid to re-wet the towel?

Thanks again for all your time. Our hatching eggs are coming this week so we will be incubating by Saturday! Can't wait!

When my humidity levels didn't go up the first time I hatched, I did have to lift the lid to get the paper towel inside. It didn't seem to affect anything negatively once I got the humidity levels up, but my levels being low in the beginning and not high enough during hatch had some babies shrink-wrapped in the eggs. I'd bet putting the towel in the day before lock down would be okay! I'm no expert tho.

I don't think I had to rewet the towel once it was in there. The humidity went up to 80 and the babies coming out of the eggs kept the environment moist as well.

Hi! I was wanting to give you an update! On day 19 I added my little scrap of paper towel to raise the humidity overnight. The towel DID dry out and my humidity levels dropped. A sponge or something that holds water better might be the way to go when it's lockdown to keep the humidity level raised pretty high. Once the eggs started hatching though it went up to 95%+ really, REALLY quickly.

Back
Top Bottom