Broiler - bum leg - any thoughts?

Alabama Jack

Songster
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
Huntsville, Alabama
We have 120 broilers in two 10x12 tractors. We have one that wouldn't walk and was shivering, so we took it it to the garage. It's been in the garage for three days with off and on heat lamp. It's eating a little, drinking, and pooping. But it still won't put weight on it's right leg. Today, I held it up, and it really tried to put weight on it, but couldn't. No obvious signs of a break, but when I touch the leg, it shakes it's tail feathers. Two weeks left until processing. Thoughts or advice?

IMG_20171111_140216603.jpg

We have 120 broilers in two 10x12 tractors. We have one that wouldn't walk and was shivering, so we took it it to the garage. It's been in the garage for three days with off and on heat lamp. It's eating a little, drinking, and pooping. But it still won't put weight on it's right leg. Today, I held it up, and it really tried to put weight on it, but couldn't. No obvious signs of a break, but when I touch the leg, it shakes it's tail feathers. Two weeks left until processing. Thoughts or advice?
How old?

Assuming it isn't Marek's, I would process now. No point in prolonging suffering. Chickens are prey animals and as such will hide their pain until they have no choice. Seems also like it might just be building fat instead of muscle if it can't move at all for the next 2 weeks. Added time and energy to care for a separated bird... cull now! :drool

If you don't wanna heat the water to pluck 1 bird, try skinning. It's what we do sometimes.

Good luck. :fl

Back
Top Bottom