Broke ground on our chicken coop

You can always put a board across the doorway inside to accommodate the bedding height.

It helps if coop and run doors all open outwards, especially if you live where it snows a lot.

You can always put a board across the doorway inside to accommodate the bedding height.

It helps if coop and run doors all open outwards, especially if you live where it snows a lot.

Thankfully the preexisting door does swing outward. We'll also make the run door swing out to accommodate for snow. I read someone's thread saying they weren't able to get into their run/coop because they were snowed out :(

Skip the idea of making it a coop. Make , or modify it into LIVING QUARTERS and rent it out. Hmmmmmmmmm you might need plumbing, .........
lau.gif

Getting closer to being done. A little more trim work, then to the inside and the run...Trying to decide how to do the run now. We are starting with a 10 ft X 20 ft run. Question: What is the best material to use for the run?

Last edited:
Chain link fence will keep out most predators . Use netting or whatever you can for the overhead. Part of the overhead covering the run would be ideal to be tarp. Keeps rain and sun in check. The more predator proof... the higher the cost. Also I would utilize area under coop as part of run. Just need to secure with hardware cloth on perimeter . Short chain link fence buried into ground would also do very well. 2 x 4 welded wire also good. Will give chickens an open air rain and sun shelter. Read up on ventilation. I'm not sure what your plans are. As to what use on the ground, You have many options. Personally I would just leave it as is and provide a corner with some sand for them to dust bathe. You can also use other things like peat moss or combinations of such. Hope these ideas lead to successful run.
GREAT JOB
thumbsup.gif

We do plan to use the area under the coop. Will be leaving run area as is with a corner as you describe. Eventually we will have a larger fenced yard around the run so that the chickens can be out while we are around - can't let them completely free range because of our dog.

Ventilation. Can't see from the pick, but there are roof vents. And windows open. I have suggested Soffit vents to my husband, so if more ventilation is needed we may add those.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom