Broke ground on our chicken coop

A note of caution on using under the coop as part of the run.......
.....can you get under there if there's an injured hen, an egg or two, or some other issue that needs resolving by putting your hands on it?

I used part of mine, the 'UnderRun', to provide a shady and rain/snow free area,
but only went back about 4 feet so I wouldn't have to crawl too far on my hands and knees thru poop.
Have had to get under there a few times....and mines about 24-30".......looks like you'd have to belly crawl to get under yours.

Best material?
There's a plethora of options!
Depends on your climate (putting your location in your profile can help folks give more viable suggestions/answers) temps, snow fall, wind, shade/sun, etc.....
......and on predator load and if you're around to help deter predation.

I used 2x4 welded wire on walls and roof with a 12-18" apron to deter diggers, it's secure against hawks which is my main concern and seriously slow down any other predator. I'm home 95% of the time and not opposed to using lethal force.

Graphic of an apron, corner mesh is out of scale, but don't forget the corners

This guy will never come back to try and get in.

Hawk proof!

Sorry - Added location to profile, but we are in Eastern NC (Grifton area), so mild winters (hardly ever any snow or temps below freezing), summers are humid, and hot 90's +.

Predators we have in the area - 4 bald eagles about 600 feet from our barn yard, owl, raccoon, fox, our dog, possibly some coyote, bob cats, and of course snakes.

Floor is about 2 ft off the ground. Yes, would have to go on belly to get an injured chicken (luckily my son is skinny;-)

Ventilation once again - have the windows and a ridge vent. Could add soffit vets or gable vent if needed. Will have electricity, so could draw air through with fan if not too much draft.

Fence. Do plan to use an apron, and may add electric fence to outside of fence line. Do plan on completely closing in run, and may add a roof to protect from rain on part of the run.

Ventilation once again - have the windows and a ridge vent. Could add soffit vets or gable vent if needed. Will have electricity, so could draw air through with fan if not too much draft.

That might be enough in winter, if you leave the windows wide open all the time.

Heat will be a bugger in there during summer...one static(fresh air) and one powered gable vent(fan blowing out) would help.

We will likely have to ad ventilation, but during the summer seems like less if a problem than the winter because of the windows. There is a lot of room to add Soffit vents - the overhang is 1 ft on the sides. We also aren't packing the coop with chickens - It is a 12x12 coop for 12 chickens.

Last edited:
Finally, Chicken coop is ready for chickens. Hoping to get them this week. They weren't in on Saturday as planned. We will be starting out with 8-10 six month old chickens. Yes that is a rabbit in the corner. We just got two little bunnies for the kids. We had planned on giving them their own living quarters in the coop, but unsure what we will do for sure.. I have read several threads that are for, and several that are against having rabbits and chickens in together.
There are 4 more nesting boxes on the other side of the window/Feed box. We will need to add more roost space. Unsure weather to put it over the nesting boxes, or on the other side of the window in this picture.

.Outdoor run is 2X4 wire. With a skirt around the run. We will likely be adding the 1/2 X 1/2 inch hardware cloth to the bottom half of the run.
Small sand box in the corner, and the chicken's can get under the coop. Once under there is a 2' space. It is a little close for a person to get under if we have to rescue a chicken, but luckily our kids easily fit under.

First of all, You may never have to rescue chickens, and if you do. use a long rake.!!! I would put roost above nesting boxes, and place on top of nesting boxes removable poop boards. EZ clean .
Make a ramp or ladder so chickens can climb easier to roost area. Graduated height platforms would also work. Not sure about your rabbits with your chickens. You said you read both sides. I personally would give it a try. If no good, then go to plan B.
ALL LOOKS GOOD. WISHING YOU HAPPY CHICKENING
thumbsup.gif

This looks awesome! I'm building a very similar design (just no where near as nice as yours) 8x8 coop and 12x12 run for my 5 chickens. I was hoping for a $1000 budget but just lumber and fencing ran me $1400. I live in a very price inflated area of the country :-(. Anyway, great job and thanks for showing all your progress. Especially the inside setup pictures. You've given me some great ideas.

Back
Top Bottom