Broken beak

TTownChics

Chirping
Mar 22, 2015
Well we have had a bad week!

We have had neighbor dogs trying to dig and get to our chickens. Is this from that or something else and what do we do now?

I can't advise on what caused it.
Poor thing.
The biggest thing I think will be that her lower beak is going to be longer, I think the top will eventually fall off. You could try giving her wet pellets or mash in a deeper bowl so she can scoop her food. If not you will have to try to tube feed her https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
Drinking a deeper bowl as well.

Quite lengthy, but it may it may give you tips on what to do. This story started in 01/2014 and she is still kickin' and doing well it seems!
Hope it helps.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/848424/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off

Last edited:
Thank you. I read the beginning. Poor thing! I will definitely read the rest tomorrow. We think we finally got it to where those dogs can't dig under anymore.

We use a deep water dish already. Thanks for the food suggestion. I see her pecking at stuff but I'm not site she's actually eating.

Thank you so much for the tip about watering the food. She gobbled it up. I think she will be ok but her nose wont ever be straight. I looked more closely and the top of her beak is intact if that makes sense, its her nostrils and some part of that beak that is moved over. I tried to see if it would move back but it wouldnt. I hope it will heal even if she has a boxer's nose.

Thank you so much for the tip about watering the food. She gobbled it up. I think she will be ok but her nose wont ever be straight. I looked more closely and the top of her beak is intact if that makes sense, its her nostrils and some part of that beak that is moved over. I tried to see if it would move back but it wouldnt. I hope it will heal even if she has a boxer's nose.
I'm glad she is able to eat!
I would just keep an eye on the nostrils to make sure they don't get clogged with feed.
I hope she heals just fine.
Keep us updated!

It looks bad, but I think she will be fine.
I had a hen that broke her bottom beak. I still have no idea how it happened. She was quite young so I brought her into the house and gave her chicken feed mixed with water and a bit of Asprin(she would squawk loudly whenever she attempted to peck anything) She made it through but her bottom beak remained at a funny angle. She had difficulties eating and preening so she was kind of stunted and looked shabby. I'm not sure if she ever laid any eggs. Named her Flopsy Eagle, she was a very sweet and people friendly chicken.

This is my step daughter's chicken and she is pretty friendly. I hope she will be ok. We just put down our 15yr dog today so this is bad bad timing.
Thank you guys for reassurances. I felt pretty helpless and useless.

Back
Top Bottom