Broken bleeding feather shaft

Hellebore

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Kirkland WA
I have a Silver-Spangled Hamburg roo who has blood on half of his tail and it seems to be coming from a feather shaft, although I can't find any feathers that size laying around. I put a generous amount of Kwik Stop on it and the bleeding has stopped. I put him away from the hens for the bleeding to stop because they were pecking at him. He is eating but this evening is not perched with the hens. He is sitting on the screen of the droppings pit below. This is not normal. There were no spots or pools of blood, and it seemed to be a small amount. He is about 12 weeks old and not very big. I am not sure if he is more seriously wounded than it appears or if he needs antibiotics or just some time. I could take him to the vet if need be. Any ideas? We can't keep him once he starts to crow, but we have a good home set up for him to go to and we are very fond of him. Thanks.

Update: Thanks for the link. When I opened the link it opened up about 100 times, so there was some issue there!! I checked on the roo and he was bleeding again and my daughter and I pulled out 3 blood feathers uneventfully with hemostat pliers. The area did not bleed after the feathers were pulled out. I cleaned all of his feathers off and he is separated from the hens for the afternoon and doing well. I was inclined to just "let him heal up" but after reading about how the feathers keep bleeding I realized that it had to be addressed. Our vet referred us to the local exotic animal vet, who is rude and charges a fortune, but it worked out well doing it ourselves.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom