Broken egg ends & weak yolks

MapleReach

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2016
Outside Portland, Oregon
Hi - our Barred Rock's eggs are almost always dented on the pointy end (membrane not broken). Her shells are thinner than our other hen's eggs and her yolks break very easily. She eats the same food and they have plenty of oyster shell available. Also it appears her eggs are coming out pointy end first, which I understand to be backwards. Any clues if this is just an individual chicken thing or if there is some supplement she needs? And how do you supplement one chicken?
[/IMG]

Same with mine! I have one Leghorn and one Speckled Sussex, and just the Leghorn's eggs have suddenly become soft on the ends. It's not 100 percent of the time, maybe about 75 percent. Two weeks ago I bought some oyster shells and feed some to them every day, but no change. She is 3 years old and never had this problem before. This morning there was some blood streaked on the egg too.

She is about 2.5 years old (we just got her a couple of months ago). She's a reliable layer, but when our three girls came to us her eggs were often broken and eaten by the other hens. At first we thought it was just pecking, but we've actually seen her eggs land on the end and dent or crack (like in the photo). Only twice have we found blood in her eggs.

I'm a first time chicken owner, so I have never had experience with this. I know that blood spots aren't that big a deal, unless it's bigger than a blood spot?

More experienced chicken owners! Give your opinion!

Hi - our Barred Rock's eggs are almost always dented on the pointy end (membrane not broken). Her shells are thinner than our other hen's eggs and her yolks break very easily. She eats the same food and they have plenty of oyster shell available. Also it appears her eggs are coming out pointy end first, which I understand to be backwards. Any clues if this is just an individual chicken thing or if there is some supplement she needs? And how do you supplement one chicken?
[/URL]

She is about 2.5 years old (we just got her a couple of months ago). She's a reliable layer, but when our three girls came to us her eggs were often broken and eaten by the other hens. At first we thought it was just pecking, but we've actually seen her eggs land on the end and dent or crack (like in the photo). Only twice have we found blood in her eggs.
Are you sure that the pointy end, not much delineation there...looks like the air cell end(non 'pointy') end to me.
I wonder too if she may be older than 2.5 years?

I have a few with thinner shells, can be stress and/or less efficient absorption of nutrients.
If all the others are laying good hard shelled eggs, then there's not much you can do with changing diet.
But what and how exactly are you feeding?
Thicker nest bedding can help, I use a thick 'flake' of straw..shove it in there and 'bowl' it out for them and they' are less likely to scratch thru to the hard bottom of nest box.

Last edited:
Try switching your layer pellets to another brand. Cut out too many treats. Feed some dry cat food for extra protein.
I keep all my egg shells , rinsed out, dried and crushed . mixed back into oyster shell and my eggs are fine.

Back
Top Bottom