Broken egg (large end) under broody, day 19, I've got a question

clarkestep

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
N Metro Atlanta
I came home this evening to find that another chicken had gotten into the broody's nest and laid an egg.... and it totally broke under her. As I checked the other eggs I found one that was crushed at the big end (doesn't look like a pip at all) and the membrane looked like it was shrink wrapped around part of the chick. The chick was chirping away so I broke the egg some more and opened the membrane and the chick's head is at the other end of the egg. I peeled the egg and membrane away so the chick could get air but left most of the small end intact in case it had not absorbed the yolk. The question I have is, should I bring the chick/egg inside to the bator (that I just put on lock down about 20 minutes ago) so it has more humidity? I don't want it to get stuck and not get out. I can say that the membrane and shell are away from the chick's face and beak right now and I put it back under mama.

And I wouldn't have done any of this had it piped on it's own. The large end was crushed. I know better than to start the process.

Thanks!

I brought the chick/egg in and put it in the incubator. It is still breathing I will keep my eye on it and see what happens. Thank you. I'm thinking that since the head/face can get air, it will probably be fine as long as it has time for the yolk sack to absorb. In a day or two if I still hasn't gotten out then I will help it more. But only after Monday evening as that would be day 21.

She's out and so so lonely! I'll open the bator quickly tonight after dark and snatch her out really quick to put her under mama. I hope my bator hatch tomorrow so they won't be too far behind. The mama's babies are due to hatch tomorrow evening and my bator eggs are due to hatch on Tuesday evening.

Back
Top Bottom