Broken Leg?

BreadChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 27, 2014
Hello all, recently I went to go check on my orpington hen and I realized one of her legs were not functioning as well. She was walking and would almost look as if she's tripping and has a lot of trouble using the other leg. She's often losing her balance so she'd fall when jumping off a small height and can hardly move, not being able to use the leg at all. Because of this, she also has become less active and prefers to sit down most of the time, she seems to be eating and drinking about the same and in fact just laid an egg just yesterday. I have tried my best to inspect the leg and it doesn't seem there's any wounds or anything, in fact it looks quite the same to her other functioning leg but then again I am not the best of observers. I'm worried that she might have broken her leg somehow, and if it is broken, should we take her to the vet or hope it can heal by itself?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
She's a Broiler Hen? What type? If she is one of the hybrid ones that are breed to grow quickly for meat.....and you have kept her till she is laying eggs....I would say her leg problems may be a result of keeping her long past the intended 8-12 weeks or so...most breeds of Broiler chickens are raised on the ground...for convenience and because of possible leg injuries due to the size and quick growth of Broiler in general....

Oops, I had realised I had put broiler instead of orpington (I really have no idea why) and I was going to change it but I forgot..

Oops, I had realised I had put broiler instead of orpington (I really have no idea why) and I was going to change it but I forgot..
Well that's a bit different....is she the only bird you have? Is she over weight? Have you examined the leg to find out if there's any swelling....check out her foot on the affected side...is it ok? If there's no obvious signs of swelling or injuries to that side....she may have just twisted it or pulled something....take the roosts out of the coop and run...make sure you have a nice thick bedding material over the coop floor and run...pine wood shavings about 4 inches deep at the least....give her some vitamins and electrolytes the stuff you put in water for chicks..not to much, so she doesn't like the taste...it may help...won't hurt....also if she is laying she NEEDS to be on layer feed....if she's not you have to be sure she has completed access to a source of additional calcium...if she doesn't have extra calcium her body will take it from her bones to create the shell for her eggs....if this happens it will weaken her bones...leading to possible bone fractures....as far as your parents feeding "Inappropriate" foods to her...before you leave...stock up on good treats for your chickens....that your parents can feed her when they feel the urge...if they are interested in your birds get a book on the care and feeding of chickens, many are available...if they seem interested..keep it basic and a quick read..it might help them to understand your concerns....if that's not a possibility...if the salt in the foods they feed is just the salt in the bread....I wouldn't be to concerned about it...the amount in most bread recipes isn't really enough to kill anyone...I've fed my chickens day old bakery as a treat...I know it's not good for them...but they like it...and it's a rare treat....so I'd be focused on healing up what is wrong with your hen first and then try to find a mid point with your parents...I don't think they mean to harm the birds....sounds like they just like to interact with them...greens...canned without salt...is a favorite of my birds, when I've got nothing fresh....I've fed them cheerios as a treat

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes we used to have 4 but now she is the only bird we have. She's not too overweight and I think her feed is relatively fine. I am wondering if she requires a splint? And does it have to be done at a vet? Thanks again.

We have a rooster with a similar problems, it is fairly swollen, but doesn't look like he is pain, what to do? If he continues to limp well probably just eat him. Suggestions?

You can splint the leg with some coban and two tips. If it's broken the splint will help immediatly. Leave it on for a few weeks. Keep an eye pot fpr swelling, as you will have to adjust the splint if it improves or worsens.

Thanks as well, we'll give it a shot. She also seems to have diarrhea at the moment but I would assume that it's not relevant to the leg?

Back
Top Bottom