Broken leg?

Traguirre

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
My 4 month old buff Orpington was found laying on her side a little over a week ago. She is unable to stand up on her own and prefers to lay only on one side. If I try to turn her over she protests and flap around until she can get herself on the other side. It appears to me that her leg or maybe hip joint is broken? I know nothing about chicken anatomy and this is my first time raising chickens. I googled broken leg and read to leave her stationary for 3-6 weeks and it could heel. She has been inside for 10 days but doesn’t seem to be changing/improving at all. Any suggestions?

Does she move both legs? Is there any curling und or her toes? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease and do you have any history of losing a chicken to an unknown illness? Could she have been hurt by a rooster trying to mate, or from jumping from a roost? Is there any green bruising or swelling on the leg? Could you see a vet? A chicken sling might be helpful.

Thank you so much for replying. Yes, she does use and move both legs but she uses the right leg more and pulls away when I touch the left. She curls the toes of the left and tucks it up against herself. She also, fusses and screeches when I try to pick her up on her left side or lay her down on her left side. No she was not vaccinated and no I have not lost any other chickens. I believe she was injured jumping from the top of the coop. No green, bruising or swelling that I can see. The local bird vet wants $275 just to walk in the door. Where can I get a sling?

Back
Top Bottom